Wednesday 29 December 2021

From MattW: Napoleonics (160 Points )

Hi all, I am Matt from French Wargame Holidays, I am an Australian living in Mayenne in Western France. We have a a large Maison Particular (a chateau sized building in town) where my wife and I conduct a B&B, Military Battlefield Tours of Normandy, Brittany and Pays de Loire, plus a Wargames Holiday business. 


the view from the painting desk

This is my third challenge for me. I struggle with the squirrel a lot and swap and change periods regularly to keep up my interest. This year I have set a 1200 point target, and plan to enter the challenge for the first time. I will be adding to my Napoleonic, Medieval and ancients collection.

First entry is 28mm Napoleonic Mamelukes from Foundry, these were a bit of work but look good, I need to find the standard which is somewhere on my desk......

12 Mamelukes of the Imperial Guard







Next up are 28mm Front Rank Austrian Command, both these are divisional commanders, one Infantry division commander and one Hussar Cavalry division general stand.  

Austrian Hussar General






Total 160 points

All the best to everybody, I am off on holidays for a month, but will be assembling and possibly putting up a few small pieces I can bring in my luggage.

cheers
Matt

_____________________________


Welcome back to the Challenge, Matt!

Napoleonics, 'The Beautiful Game'. Wonderful work, Matt. Those Mamelukes of the Guard look superb, and one can never have too many confused Austrian commanders (Gosh, I love the old school look of the Front Rank stuff).  I look forward to seeing your upcoming Medieval and Ancient entries over the next few months.

- Curt

46 comments:

  1. Lovely work Matt, enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, Just landed in Australia, a lovely 27 degree day. Confinement for a few days then off to the beach, and a few bbqs!

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work, welcome to Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, they are my first love!

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the post - great Napoleonics and love the view!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, I love painting Napoleonics and never tire of the view, my new painting station will be on the fourth floor and is currently being renovated hope to move into it in March.

      Delete
  5. Adorable miniatures and a fantastic place to paint for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tobias, yes it is inspiring to look over a 17-18th century historically listed square. The room is the wargames salon with my 4m table and two display cases and a lounge.

      cheers
      matt

      Delete
  6. Cracking work Matt. Lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Matt. Always nice to see Napoleonics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, a real focus for me for next year as I want to complete my Guard and Austrian armies

      cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  8. Splendid looking mamelukes and great Austrian command!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning stuff. Great opening Napoleonic salvo!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was great to sit down and bang these chaps out before I departed on Summer holidays to Australia.

      Delete
  10. That is some lovely looking cavalry Matt!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fantastic. I really like the movement of the horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the foundry figures are showing their age but still very lovely figures.

      cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  12. Great submission Matt, and nice to see where you paint! The last time we met (CanCon maybe?) you were about to depart our Aussie shores :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, it is a nice spot, I am moving up a floor next year with a purpose built painting space so I can spread out more! Same view, but I will also see the countryside more. Back in Australia for a summer holiday for 6 weeks, then back to complete the renovations on the fourth and fifth floor hopefully by March before the season kicks off!

      cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  13. Nice detail doing the inside of the officers hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Geoff, I do like to add a bit of silk inside after seeing a real one in Vienna that had a red silk interior.

      Delete
  14. Lovely work, Matt. I envy your painting desk view and hope to be a tour customer of yours one day. Great to see such well done Napoleonic in the grand scale.
    Cheers, Mike P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike, yes I love the gilder big battalion look, although my Austrians are looking a little intimidating at 60 figure cavalry regiments......

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Yes, I was painting some persians also at the same time, not completed them though before I left or holidays!

      Delete
  16. What a great entry and a good start on the Napoleonic Duel as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, Shoot forgot about the Napoleonic Duel, I will add that to the post, I will sort immediately do not want you winning again!

      Delete
  17. Welcome back Matt, great start to the Challenge mate 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ken, lets hope I can keep up with your output!

      cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  18. Great looking models, very crisply painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dallas, old school, base, wash, two-three highlight colours.

      cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  19. Wonderful stuff, especially the command stands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, not sure which one is my favourite

      cheers
      matt

      Delete