Saturday 1 January 2022

From Codsticker: 16 Warriors of Minas Tirith[Arda] (100pts)

Hello again, I am super pleased to be apart of the AHPC again - last year was my rookie campaign. I look forward to enjoying  and getting inspiration from everyone's work with my morning coffee and when I get home from work in the evening.

Over the last decade or so I have been (apparently) compulsively buying up second hand figures from Games Workshop's Middle-earth range. This past summer I realised I had two large rubbermaid roughnecks filled with figures so I finally sat down and took stock of what I had. I am a little embarrassed to say that I have amassed 1100 figures from the range, the vast majority unpainted plastics, though some are assembled and primed. So my main commitment this challenge is to knock a serious dent in that pile. However, there will be distractions of course.

So, with my primary goal in mind, my first entry is 16 Warriors of Minas Tirith from Games Workshop.


Honestly, pretty boring figures not particularly inspiring to paint but true to the film; this batch came assembled and primed in black (I recoated in grey). 


Despite the plain nature of the figures the sculpting is very well done; the proportions are realistic and the detail fine; it can actually make them a bit of a challenge to paint.


I stuck to the stock colour choices although the armour is darker than the GW paint jobs, it is not as dark as the armour as worn in the film.

So I have 16, 28mm figures at 5 pts each-  that is 80 - and as I am starting my cosmic journey on Arda another 20 for a total of a nice tidy 100. 


_____________________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Rob!

1100 LotR figures! Whoa. Well, you do have a challenge in front of you, don't you? I have a soft spot for GW's LotR range as it is so amazingly comprehensive and, as you say, generally wonderfully done (especially the early metal stuff). Speaking of wonderfully done, these Minas Tirith warriors look terrific. Such nice and clean brushwork, and the basework is excellent as well. 

Well done Rob! I look forward to seeing what else emerges from your vast LotR stocks!

- Curt




24 comments:

  1. Well done. A good start in a long journey. I think I managed to whittle down my 'big box of shame' of unpainted LotR minis by 370 over the course of the winter. Like your collection, many of mine were eBay rescues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is impressive work- I don't think I will come even close to that over the next 3 months.

      Delete
  2. Solid entry, Rob! Buying second hand Lotr figures seems to be a common habit. I did lot of that before the Pelennor box was released, since there were lots of people just dumping off the miniatures (because of lack of support, I believe). They are "cheap" (compared to other GW stuff) as brand new as well, so I don't really understand how the licensing stuff goes... Minas Tirith are quite boring and one of the rare armies I don't have (quite large black-and-silver Numenor army was enough), but you have done a good job here. And I admire your focus (at least for now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was painting these I realised there probably wasn't a lot of scope for battles with them; really just Osgiliath and the siege of Minas Tirith. Thankfully, they are one of the smaller of my collections.

      Delete
  3. A fine retinue of stout defenders of Gondor. Let’s see how many of those 1100 you can paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Rob. I know Minas Tirith is officially “boring” but I have always loved the look of them, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I like your knight, especially the metallic brass armour bits … shiney!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sixteen down, one thousand eighty-four to go! Nice work Rob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite so bad- including these that is 309 painted from all factions.😁

      Delete
  7. 1100 holy moly, that must be an intimidating pile. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1100 is hilarious! You can only eat an elephant one bite at a time though and you have to start somewhere. I like your take on the armour, the movie version is too polished for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous, I do like those figures and have painted my sons army when they first come out, I think we ended up with around 50 of them....but 1100 you could base up on multi bases and use Impetus LOTR and refight pelennor fields !

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1100!?!?! I am impressed! Terrific job on the painting, very true to the exce,,ent films.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back to the Challenge and a great start on some classic LotR figures, as you all know I love a Big collection of figures 😀

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely looking group of warriors. They may not be the most exciting minis to paint, but an army of them will look awesome when deployed. Keep `em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking warriors of Minas Tirith!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don’t have any Gondorians, but I wish I had snaffled some up years ago like you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are lovely looking minis - just finished watching the films for the 20th anniversary and I'm envious of your 2 totes worth of minis to paint. It's a great range and you're doing them proud.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work on these, Rob! Totes!? That is entirely too organized. You need stacks of shoeboxes and smaller boxes stacked haphazard in out of the way places with no markings indicating what is within. That is how you can surprise yourself again and again! ;)

    ReplyDelete