Saturday 1 January 2022

From DallasE - Nazgul on Fellbeast and 1/48 Pzkpfw III Ausf M [Caprica] [70 points]


Last year (related to the Challenge!) I picked up the Battle of Pelennor Fields box set from Games Workshop, with the intention of painting this Ringwraith on a Fellbeast. And less than a year later, here it is already!


The paint scheme is pretty straightforward - tones of grey with the leathery bits washed (repeatedly) with GW Reikland Shade. The clever bit about this ain't the painting though - it was the construction of the model...


See?!? The kit comes with two "necks" for the Fellbeast, as well as two riders - both a standard (!) Ringwraith and the Witch King!


Here's the Witch King with his flaming sword. I used magnets to facilitate easy back-and-forth swappery. 


I countersunk a pretty big magnet into the body of the Fellbeast. Not too hard to do.


Then, I cut off the pins on the necks and superglued on 5mm magnets. They hold the necks on pretty securely and I'm happy with that. Nice of GW to provide two different necks as well as riders.


Next up was a Bandai 1/48 Pzkpfw. III Ausf M. While still equipped with the venerable KwK39 L/60 main gun, there were 250 examples of the Ausf M produced between October 1942 and February 1943, and they were deployed mainly to replace frontline losses - including at Kursk.


I painted the tank in an early-'43 camo scheme taken from the Panzer Colors book - yellow over dark grey. The grey is Mechanicus Standard Grey and Dawnstone washed with Nuln Oil, with Zandri Dust as the yellow overcoat. Decals are from Pedinghaus and the decal folder.


The Ausf M had a modified exhaust valve to facilitate deep wading, as well as the triple smoke dischargers. 


I did a bit more weathering on this model than I did on the previous Pzkpfw I models... some sponge chipping and dust application with Steel Legion Drab drybrush. 


I like how the yellow and grey camo turned out on this one. It'll be a good addition for mid-war gaming and it's in the correct 1/48 scale :-)

So that's it for this post:

    Ringwraith and Witch King on Fellbeast (30 points: 20 for the beast, I'll take 10 for the two riders        and necks)

    Pzkpfw IIIM (20 points for a 28mm vehicle)

    20 point bonus for Caprica (Doomed, Ambush: Of course, the Men of Rohan ambushed the forces of     Mordor (including the Witch King) by using the secret road through the Druadan Forest... so the            Witch King essentially perished in an ambush. Certainly you might consider that the Witch King was     "Doomed" to perish at the hand of Eowyn!)

Happy New Year!

____________________________________

Great work Dallas. This is a wonderfully varied entry, with models from two completely different genres of the hobby. Eaaxcellent.

That Fellbeast and rider(s) is brilliant. I remember Barks doing something similar with magnets a year or so back, and I think it's such a great way to get additional variations to an already terrific model. You've done a brilliant job on him, especially the leathery wings. I'll have to mark down that paint recipe when I tackle mine in the future. 

I also really admire that 1/48 scale PzIII, especially the yellow and grey camo - it's very distinctive and striking. This variant was a real workhorse for the German army, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it in future Bolt Action scenarios. 

Wonderful stuff Mr. Dallas! More please. :)

- Curt



21 comments:

  1. Love the fell beast with his interchangeable necks and riders, and the colours on the Pz III are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work Dallas, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work on that fell beast; the wings are superb- you rendered the leathery skin perfectly. I have that Pelennor Fields set too but I have barely even looked at the contents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mother of all head swaps! Super work Dallas, especially that mottled brown on the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous work Dallas loving the panzer!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job on both of these big beasts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two great outcomes there Dallas! Excellent texture effects on both pieces, well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the fell-beasts’ leathery wings. Very cool paint effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some very nice subtle and effective colour transitions on the Nazgul but my money is on the Pzkpfw III Ausf M! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent stuff Dallas. Clever idea with the Fellbeast. Great camo on the Panzer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a cracking version of the Fell Beast, it seems to be the year for huge models 👏

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work on both minis. I like the mid-war camo on the Panzer, it makes a nice change from the late war schemes I usually see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not withstanding dour faible for an utterly ridiculos scale 😉, that's some pretty impressive painting there! I'm especially impressed by the wings of the felbeast... you make the painting process sound so straight forward, yet it looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I was waiting when you'd enter the tank-scale fray, Nick. ;) Nice to see you mate. :)

      Delete
    2. Was holding off till now but couldn’t hold my breath any longer 😂

      Delete
  14. Awesome fell beast and nazgul and a lovely pzkfw III!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic work with the magnets on the fell beast. I'm also really impressed with the leathery wings. I need to give that a try on some bats I need to paint up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely stuff on both these beasts! I have a lot more of the Pelennor Fields stuff yet to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work, Dallas! Don't know which I like more, the nazgul or tank! But I really like that camouflage and weathering.

    ReplyDelete