Thursday 27 January 2022

From DallasE: Bolt Action Schwimmwagen at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads (Klendathu) (43 points)

I've always wanted a little schwimmwagen for my WW2 collection, and recently came across Warlord's 1/56 Bolt Action model at a local shop. It was pretty pricy at $30CAD but seeing it gave me an idea, so I picked it up.

I thought I would model a specific vehicle that's pretty famous - at least as famous as a vehicle from WW2 could be. It is of course the infamous schwimmwagen of SS-KG Knittel that was featured in a propaganda newsreel made during "Wacht am Rhein", known nowadays as the Battle of the Bulge. The schwimmwagen in question was driven by a soldier wearing a Waffen-SS camouflage smock and some very distinctive headgear - identified online as a US Army winter tanker's helmet.

The Bolt Action model came with a driver of course, but the separate heads supplied were wearing a helmet or an M43 einheitsmutze. So I swapped in a bald head from my bits box and did my best to sculpt on the tanker's helmet with greenstuff. I think it looks passable. 

Unfortunately the vehicle itself doesn't quite match the one in the newsreel, in terms of equipment - the real one was missing the paddle and carried spare wheels on the rear deck. No matter to me - the driver is what counts in this conversion. The model is nice though and very detailed.

It's not super-visible here but the model has some nice stowage sculpted in - an MP40 submachine gun as well as a bunch of breadbags and canteens strapped to the roll bar above the seats.

Here's the model pictured with a Waffen-SS officer from Battle Honours...

...and the inspiration for the project.

As far as the Outer Rim tour goes, I visited Klendathu for this one, as "failed invasion" pretty much describes to a T the gamble Hitler took in late '44 with Wacht am Rhein. The idea was to get to Antwerp and split the Allied forces, but as we all know that the German "invasion" ran out of steam well short of its objective.

Points:

28mm vehicle: 20 points (not counting the driver in the total as the vehicle is pretty small)

Klendathu bonus: 20 points

Total: 40 points


I've seen this photo before, but hadn't realised the driver was wearing US headgear. I'll throw in a few points for the driver with camo smock.


Barks

15 comments:

  1. that is some great research and conversion work, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice vehicle! It is always inspiring to see something, which actually mimics some specific event in real life/history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Dallas! Great homage to a classic photograph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool project and results. Plus you gotta love saying Schwimwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent. I did one last fall for a Barbarossa campaign we played. well like you just because who doesn’t need a Schwimmwagen. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Dallas - fancy-pants sculpting and everything! Very impressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the infamous Joachim Peiper isn't it? Very cool project, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so well done and I appreciate the history behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s ace! I have a soft spot for the Schwimmwagen and yours looks just great

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to see very specific research behind a project, well done. The headgear looks convincing.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete