Thursday 27 January 2022

From Nick: 20mm German 8.8cm Flak 36/37 (36 points)

Fielding an 8.8cm Flak 36/37 in a skirmish game is probably akin' to overkill, but it's such an iconic piece, I simply had to get me one. Figures are 20mm AB as ever, while the Flak gun is from Zvezda. I had thought about creating a larger vignette style base, but as the gun comes without carriage I decided otherwise. But given the AB figures would let themselves well for a diorama due to their posing I might yet do one.



Wanted to try out a new recipe for Reed Green summer Drillich uniforms, but it turned out way too greenish. Still I couldn't be bothered to correct it. For the moment at least. Given the Wehrmacht used any kind of captured stock and dyes often varied from batch to batch anyway I think I'll get away with it... even if maybe just ;-)



I'm not completely sold on the shrubbery, thus it's not glued in place yet. 



As the gun was already started before the challenge I'll only claim 36 points for 9 20mm scale crew.

Lovely work, and a bit of variation in uniform tones adds realism and 'campaign cred'. It is skirmish overkill, but makes a great scenario centrepiece and objective. I would like to see you turn this into a vignette... I'm always a bit leery of vegetation and camo netting that would hinder the operation of a vehicle or gun, myself. (Unless it is backed up by a photo.)

Barks

29 comments:

  1. Really fantastic work- I love the big base for the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking 88 and crew, overkill but come on, you've got to have one,I haven't got one yet but it's inevitable! I'm sure I've seen reference to a summer uniform as green as that in Italy, so I think it's both entirely kosher and splendidly done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Well, yes I‘ve seen several examples of the reed green summer HBT dress in such a striking green, but it somehow looks off amidst all the lovely Feldgrau 😆

      Delete
  3. That looks utterly superb Nick! I think the gun would make a great objective piece or simply an abandoned gun on the table. The basing is great and shrubbery really works. I always like vignettes so I of course would like to see that as it will make a beautiful centerpiece in your collection.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the foliage on this, really makes the piece pop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely figures and brilliant basing skills

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite green, but still very well painted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work as always, Nick! :)

    Just go with the notion that they received a batch of uniforms made using a greener batch of dye than normal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accidentally it’s the same green I used on my Soviets‘ trousers, so I go with the captured stocks 😁

      Delete
  8. Stunning as ever Nick - off the charts! The 88 is, as you say, an iconic piece of WW2 kit...you certainly needed to have one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing work Nick as usual! Considering the quality your output is really crazy fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing work. The level of detail is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blown away by this (see what I done there??). Fantastic brushwork and basing. Excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvelous work. The figures pop out among the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. As you say, the crew just cry out for being placed in a vignette setting. Lovely groundwork as well, though I suspect a lot of it would've been pounded flat into mush with the setup and use of the gun. Enviable brushwork as always, Nick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend. Well, yes. I did ponder if I should go for a less verdant scene, but decided against as it‘d look completely wrong on such a small base. A square brown puddle of mud in the midst of a green field 😂

      Delete
  14. Fantastic looking 88. Even if it doesn't hit the table often, it's nice to have the option.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the lush super saturated greens …🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both the figures and the basing are top notch Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love looking at your stuff Nick, these are really well done

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are unbelievably good. I really like how realistically you have the tufts looking. And in 20mm too ! Quite extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You make me wanna hand in my brush and never paint again, Nick, bloody beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great work, always enjoy seeing your work. I agree that dyes varied from source to source and therefore between units and within units.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! That's cpmpetition standard my friend!! Amazed!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Unbelievably good. Love the variation in the uniforms. Ab figures meet your brush - a match made in heaven!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant stuff as always Nick ... painting, poses, basework the whole shebang!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Fantastic painting and really well photographed.

    ReplyDelete