Thursday 27 January 2022

From DaveS: Heavy Metal (121 points)

This week has been a week of two halves.  I started with a plan to work lots on my Florence Army, and got started with that.  I managed to turn out a unit of Mounted Crossbowmen, a light cavalry unit, made, as is becomming traditional, from the Perry Plastic sets, with a few bits from the Warlord Landsknechts.  These are in teh same Red and White colour scheme that I have used for all of the regular forces for the army, and are, as usual, based for Basic Impetus II.



While I was waiting for an ebay order to get the Polearms I need to finish the last of the "regular" units that I have to do, I moved onto a unit that both inspired me to choose this project, and scared me a little.  THe Landsknechts.  I decided to start with a small "Skirmish" unit, the Zweihander armed models.  These, I think, are skirmishers only because they roamed in front of the main units.

I knew that I had to make them "colourful" and not uniformed. I think that I might have taken this a little bit too far with this unit, but will jusitfy it to myself by claiming that these are the most flamboyant of their troops.



At this point, my cunningly laid plans were thrown apart.  I love battletech, as may have been obvious from the number of my posts that are about it so far this year.  Unfortunately, it's been quite difficult to get hold of some of the new sets, and some of them have not yet been released.  So when I found out that the local shop had gotten in not a couple, but 5 new sets, I had to go shopping.  They also had the beginner box in.  Now, despite having been playing this game for nearly 30 years, I needed the beginner box simply because it is the only place that you can get the Griffin, a really rather useful medium Mech.  When it turned out that the other FLGS had got in some supplies of some of the models that had previosly been out of stock that I needed, I was like a kid in a candy store.

The goal for me, with Battletech, has always been to try and restrict my choices of mech to the force I am playing.  Rules wise, this is not required, but to me, it seems logical.  To that end, I spent a few hours with a list of models, the rulebooks, and both the "Master Unit List" and "Sarna" websites.  This, plus some planning, has led to me now having plotted out a Battalion of Mechs for the Capellan Confederation.  A lot of these had been painted, but I had 16 to do, to have the whole force painted.

To that end, I now present the first 8 of the "reinforcements" for the Battalion.

Cataphract

Centurion

Cyclops

Griffin

Highlander

King Crab

Of course, one small consequence of the plan to only use time and faction specific mechs, and to build to Battalion size is that it leaves me with left over mechs........Oh well, lookks like I'll have to learn to paint Lyran Alliance and Draconnis Combine as well..... and then there are all the new clan mechs....

Points wise, this is 4 cavalry (10pts), 5 infantry(5pts) and 8 mechs(7pts), for a total of 121 points


I do like your flamboyant swordsmen. The King Crab is a mech I don't think I've seen before and it looks kind of cool. Now you must paint an opposition with the leftovers!


Barks

16 comments:

  1. wow, great mechs mate! Your approach to colourschemes is laudable and I try to do the same as often as possible. It is really awarding to get a force with the right colours, configs and background on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Florence army looks as good as ever and the Landsknechts are very colourful and good looking as well. But your distraction, the mechs, are absolutely great. I have never gotten into the Battletech or anything like that, but these green beasts look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Whenever someone asks about Battletech, I always use the fact that there are rules for blowing someones arm off, Picking it up, and beating them with it as a seling poi8nt.

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking troops Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! The colourful units are great! Some say that something worth doing, its same worth overdoing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Dave, Mecha and Machiavelli what a combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work. Love the mounted and the mechs look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Dave. While I don't share a specific fondness for Battletech's look, I can relate to love of mecha and large machines generally - well done.

    What size are the bases for the Florence army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frontage is 120mm. Cavalry is 80mm deep, skirmishers 30mm

      Delete
  8. The mechs are interesting and well painted, but I really love those Florentines!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work all around. I really like King Crab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well done. The horses are impressive

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hard to tell which figures in this entry look the most imposing and deadly.
    I’m really enjoying your Renaissance stuff.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete