Thursday 27 January 2022

From GeoffreyT: Something went wrong at the reactor (Klendathu) (40 points)

I pass back through the Great Abyssal to the outer ring, passing space travellers moving in the opposite direction, they stare out their space windows in wonder of my odd navigation.  At least I was moving against the traffic flow avoiding a jam*. Then I land on Klendathu where I find some bugs.

These miniatures are Eureka 28mm 'Reservoir Bugs' from their Movie Monster range.  I must get around to playing 7TV or something like that.  

Are these the cockroaches that will outlive the human race?

Their bug skin/carapace/whatever is black with a highlight of a darkish purple.  

The bugs have had their clothing modified to fix their extra arms.  So it seems to me that after their transformation, they went home and had their clothes fixed up, then diligently returned to work.

Bugs dressed appropriately for work.

I wanted the eyes to look kind of sparkly, so used a funky new Vallejo shifters colour shift paint. When I zoomed in to photograph the eye, I realised this one looks like Gonzo from the muppets.  That then reminded me of 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'.  I will be weary of doing any more close ups.

Gonzo ... also the last close up I'll do.


These are 4 x 28mm foot for 20 points, with +20 bonus for Klendathu.

In the alphabet soup challenge, you would think I'd claim B for beige here, but I already have that letter, so it will be I for Insectoids.

I have collected a lot of letters so far; that last few will be harder tho.

Arboreal Witch, British Officers, Camels, Dog, Elizabeth, F ?, Ghost, Homunculus, Insectoid, Jon Pertwee, K ?, Landfill, Megatherium, Napoleonic's, Obelix, Pixie, Q ?, Roundhead, Shells, Trans-Siberians, Unicycle Clowns, Veteran Frog, Watchman, X ?, Y ?, Z ?

My supply of Eureka miniatures is dwindling, and I have one last batch on the painting table now, it will be a nice mini achievement to clear the backlog of metal at least in one identifiable way.  Thereafter I will need to revert to 'foreign' brands from the occidental antipodes.  

Cheers

GT

*NB: I assume a traffic jam in space is a 'space jam', and therefore well worth avoiding

Well done, Geoff. Those sparkly bug eyes are great. The tailoring does indeed raise more questions. Space jam can also glitch your scanners.

Barks

18 comments:

  1. Space Jam and movies in the same post! Very nice insectoids and they do have some weird background, involving the tailor. Very nice, I like the Gonzo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking figures and a perfect fit for the planet. The one guy was instantly Gonzo in my mind and will always remain the Great Gonzo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Geoff:

    Those are fantastic. I like the one on the right throwing his pincers into the air as if to shrug, "Hey, I'm just a cockroach and now I'm anIT manager, what the heck?" Nice work.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking muppets,love gonzo!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Nothing to see here," *chitter, "we are just average Joe's going about our business just like you fellow humans..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sculpts are really amazing and characterful! Your paintjob certainly did them justice as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful figures and brush work. The bugs are great sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous work! Love those atomic cockroaches and you‘ve done a very convincing job on the eyes. Reminds me of close ups of fly eyes

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! I have some of the Greenstuff World colourshift paints and agree, they are super fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Strange, but nicely painted minis. I like the striped neck tie on gonzo. I think it's small details like that help breathe life into a figure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great figures, they are suitably scary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well they are just strange, well done Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are hysterical. The one on the right looks like he's throwing up his pincers and shrugging: "Yesterday i was just a cockroach, now I'm an IT manager and I have no idea what I'm doing!"
    Thanks for such a whimsical entry.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great for a smile!

    ReplyDelete