Thursday 27 January 2022

From DallasE: Star Wars Legion 3D-printed Snowtroopers (84 points)

I'll admit it: I have a problem. It's a problem with Star Wars. Basically whatever kind of miniatures someone comes out with for Star Wars gaming, I eventually get sucked down the rabbit hole. Star Wars Miniature Battles, Star Wars Starship Battles, even West End Games stuff. I've been strong on some fronts - I managed to resist Imperial Assault and Armada, and even Star Wars: Legion for the longest time, but eventually the quality and coolness of the latter's models just wore me down.

The key to resistance is to limit the scope of the project. For Legion, I've decided to concentrate on the Hoth battle from The Empire Strikes back, and limit the project to that theatre. AND THAT'S IT. So far, it's actually been a successful strategy. However, the emergence of third-party non-official models has really threatened the integrity of my plan. Witness these very cool 3D-printed snowtroopers from Squamous Miniatures.

Squamous funds its operations through Patreon and "sells" 3D files of models that supporters can print themselves. In my case it was Challenger ByronM who came through with physical resin prints of these 12 snowtroopers. They were painted in the simple scheme I've used on dozens of snowtroopers before - Rakarth Flesh, washed with Agrax Earthshade and highlighted back up, with the armour, webbing, and backpack painted Corax White with White Scar highlights. Clean up the eyes, drybrush weapons with Mechanicus Standard Grey, done.

The models are excellent sculpts and are all one-piece with no assembly required - they even come with files to print the bases. The poses are great (mostly) and they scale pretty much exactly to the official Legion models.

See what I mean? Squamous snowtrooper on the left, official Legion snowtrooper on the right.

And unlike the other third-party snowtroopers I got from Wargames 3D, the armour and gear on these Squamous models are pretty much identical to the official models. Score!

And speaking of score...

12 x Legion scale infantry (7 pts) = 84 points

Hopefully this'll keep me in the top 40 for today at least...!


I hear you, Dallas. You must have a restraining bolt fitted to be so disciplined. I like the khaki tone to the snowtroopers' cloth, which really brings out the white armour.


Barks- off to peruse Squamous Minis...

12 comments:

  1. Some great snow effects and Snowies here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sculpts and well painted and based

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, white is always tricky, but these looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Dallas, they fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Dallas, these look spot on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Dallas, they look amazing.

    I admire your resolution to avoid being sucked in to certain projects, but then there are the others where we keep wearing you down, Verdun-like...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking figures. Amazed at the 3D print quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific work. I struggle with white and you make it look so realistic (and effortless!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A simple but extremely effective way to paint Snowtroopers it seems. Very well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple but very effective paint scheme. The rebel base is in trouble.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! I like your trooper formula.

    (You are a better man than I. There are so many troop types and heroes available now for the Star Wars universe in this scale.)

    ReplyDelete