Sunday 13 February 2022

From Barks: The last planets (Xanth)(Lune) (55 points)

These are my entries for consideration to access the centre of the AHPC XII solar system.

First, Xanth - a unique talent. I've chosen Beorn from The Hobbit, with his ability to change into a bear. These are from the Journeys in Middle Earth boardgame. I'm quite underwhelmed by the bear - I would have preferred something big and troll-sized and more dynamically posed. Like most things, it has improved after a bit of paint.




Second, Lune - witchcraft and sorcery. This elf is High Mage Quellen from Descent 2nd edition. He's more 25mm than 28. I've included the artwork- I think I got reasonably close for a quick Contrast job. I didn't just choose him for his sorcerous ways- he fills an unusual slot in my ABC!



3x 28mm figures: 15 points

2x Locations (Xanth, Lune): 40 points

Slowpainter's ABC: Q is for Quellen

Set the controls for the heart of the sun!



____________________________________

Lovely brushwork Barks. Quellan's a excellent pick for your 'Alphabarks Challenge', and I think you did a masterful job in capturing his likeness from the game's art. You've also done great service for Beorn in both his incarnations, but I have to agree with you on the sculpts - not very imaginative or inspired, especially given the dynamic subject matter. Still, as you say, they look orders of magnitude better when they are as well painted as these. Great work! 

- Curt



19 comments:

  1. Nice work Barks. You captured the green and yellow on the elf very well. Your work on Beorn is great, but I agree on the sculpts. They look too much like generic hairy dud and bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Barks! Beorn is great and Quellen looks very lifelike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking shapeshifter and sorcerer!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your Beorn! In spite of the challenges with the quality of the sculpt, both he and the bear are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Barks, the bear is particularly good I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi great painting - I like the bear ... think looks scary enough!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Barks. Have to agree with Jez, the bear looks plenty scary to me...and as you say, paint does seem to improve such things...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bear does look a bit like a panto bear but well painted for all that. Good luck on your trip to the sun.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A panto bear. I couldn’t have put it better.

      Got the SPF on!

      Delete