Sunday 13 February 2022

From PeterD: Coruscant Good vs Evil Encounters (75 points)

Second post for me today and I will be hopping from Perelandra to Coruscant with my take on good and evil RPG encounters.

Wizkids Bhuer Hag on the left and Stag on the right.

On an earlier post, my stag got some positive comments.  I obviously liked the sculpt so much I bought two of them, so I went with a white stag on the second.  

I am not as thrilled by my results as with stag #1, but it'll do.  In my experience white animals are actually various shades of off-white which is the effect that I went for.


The White Stag has a place deep in Celtic Mythology and appears in any number of stories, including Arthurian legends, Harry Potter and Call the Midwife!  In my Beowulf RPG campaign he might be a Noble Beast that can provide assistance to my heroes if they prove worthy.

I won't be accepting any treats from this old dear!  She's got a lovely Disney villainness  vibe to her.


I'll share my best hag related story, which actually came from real life.  While visiting my dad, he and my step mum took me to Chichester Theatre with their octogenarian friends to see a production of MacBeth.  It turned out to star Patrick Stewart, who none of my elders had heard of!  It was in the round and we were in the front row at stage level six feet from the action.

A set of 5 Oathmark Revenants, not nearly as nicely done as Millsy's

My adventurers had an epic graveyard fight with a super-revenant plus two regular ones.   Two of the party were saved from death by followers (a nifty Beowulf second chance mechanism) and the other two were almost in the boat.  


I really like the ancient Celtic vibe to these sculpts, they fit into my Beowulf setting as tomb guardians and the like very nicely.

Finally a set of 4 Wizkids woodland critters that have been cluttering my work bench.  I don't like the  regular timber wolves nearly as much as the Winter Wolf I painted earlier, and was disappointed that they are in the same pose.

However, the fox has a good sculpting pose to him/her.  reminds me of my favourite book from childhood, Harlequin the Fox.

Challenge veterans might remember that there was a badger themed location a couple of years ago.

Points wise there are a total of 11 figures of various sizes (the hag and stag are quite large) but all in 28mm scale.  For simplicity I'd suggest averaging them all out to 5 points a head for 55 base points.  If the Snowboard approves, the Coruscant bonus brings this up to 75 points total.

I think that the hag, white stag and 5 revenants could all count towards the Fantasy Side Duel lost cause.

__________________________

Great work Peter! I really like all the critters, and that Old Hag is quite the gal, she just needs an apple and be married to George Conway to set the scene. I smiled at your parenthetical Patrick Stewart recollection as I saw him performing in 'The Taming of the Shrew' at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre when touring the UK with my parents - I didn't make the connection until years later when I saw him in 'Dune' and of course playing the iconic Captain Picard.

- Curt


26 comments:

  1. Nice collection of figures Peter! I really like the hag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hag & The Stag … terrific name for a pub!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much Curt. The hag is my fave of this bunch, but the most of the critters are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks it’s a figure with a lot of character.

      Delete
  5. A lovely collection, love the hag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blue looks good on the hag and her minions. Good woodland critters as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. Payne’s grey on the hag, something much lighter on the undead but with Payne’s grey washes. I hadn’t intended for them to be her minions, but you’re right they would work well in that role.

      Delete
  7. I find painting animals quite hard, I can accomplish "cartoonish" level, but yours are on lifelike level. I really like the off-white white and other colours on them. The hag is brilliant, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Teemu. I find the trick is understatement and layers of washes with dry brushed highlights. Also the crisp lines seen on pictures tend me be much less clear in the field, especially if the critter is moving.

      Delete
  8. I won't say who the Hag reminds of???? There's always room for a Badger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful that you don’t make room in a bad place for the Badger.

      Delete
  9. Very nice job! I do like that stag in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, it’s a nice scuplt with a certain majesty.

      Delete
  10. Great looking collection, your undead are particularly good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work as always, Peter. Bit of a stag party going on, I see.
    I don’t think enough people here comment on your lovely basing, you put a lot of work into it and it shows.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Mike. Curt has given me some pointers on basing over the years, and I’ve tried to apply them (every once in a while I pay attention to something he says just to keep him guessing). Nothing really tough, it just requires being patient enough to do steps in sequence letting stuff dry in between.

      Delete