Sunday 13 February 2022

From SimonG: 28mm Imperial Roman Cavalry for Jewish Revolt Project (100 points)

I'm getting to rather hate these Romans -- sorry for having missed last week as I got behind with this latest batch. My offering for this week and for Coruscant is that epitome of the Imperial -- Roman Cavalry!


These are eight 28mm Victrix figures with, once again, hand painted shields. A fine liner pen (in this case a 0.03 Copic Multiliner) is the go to tool for this sort of fine work and frankly working on flat surfaces such as shields is a darn sight easier than doing heraldry on medieval surcoats or barding! 

The cape on the Decurion is from Anvil but otherwise the figures are stock as supplied.




What took extra time was the sheer amount of area to cover and all of that fiddly horse furniture (I love painting horse bodies and giving each one a personality but I despise painting all of that bridle work and fiddly nonsense!)





Anyway after a good 12 hours or so of effort I think the final result came out OK -- and once again I'm able to re-stage a plate from my Osprey Campaign 252 reference -- here's my version of page 55-56!



By my reckoning all that work should be good for 100 more points (8 28mm mounted plus the 20 point bonus for landing on Coruscant)

I've planned ahead and already have next week in hand so look forward to a quick hop on Lady Sarah's Star Yacht to LV426 and a classic bad idea 

__________________________________

Beautiful work Simon. Though it may have drove you a bit bonkers working on all the horse furniture, it really paid off in the end as these cavalrymen look brilliant. And those hand painted shields... wow, absolutely superb. I also really enjoyed your final setup shot as an ode to the Osprey book art. A wonderful post, thank you!

- Curt



21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tasmin. Fiddly work but the outcome was worth it I think

      Delete
  2. I am really enjoying watching this project evolve. Wonderful looking cavalry, loving the shields. Also really like the Osprey print pictures. Are the walls of Jerusalem in the future plans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I do have an idea of trying to create the Antonia fortress and some of the adjacent walls and Temple Mount. That seems a practical target and quite interesting to build

      Delete
    2. … or maybe part of Antonia 😉it was pretty big!

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking cavalry and gorgeous shields!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Always nice to get good feedback!

      Delete
  4. Great work. The handpainted shields are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha -- I tried to pick a simple enough design then roughed out the base colours before picking up the edges with the fine liner and adding highlights

      Delete
  5. I think those horse turned out very well- nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like painting horse flesh and their faces in particular! Unfortunately Victrix don't allow you to mix and match the bodies so they do all look rather similar

      Delete
  6. Wow, those shields are ace, they must have taken an age - being able to hand paint shields is beyond most of us and dhows real talent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the first days work -- get them done and out the way before moving on to the rest. Thanks

      Delete
  7. Good job, the shields are great, but so are the horses with all the nonsense. :) I like the last comparison photo with Osprey, good to have some kind of a vision where to aim at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I took the design for the figures them selves from Plate G of Osprey Men at Arms 511 "Roman Army Units in the Eastern Provinces" which has an illustration of a cavalry commander from the region

      Delete
  8. Very nice, Simon! I like the Osprey homage as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. I like recreating pictures although I could have actually tried to match the poses instead of doing it from memory 😜

      Delete
  9. Fantastic stuff Simon. Hand-painted shields? Madness! But it all looks lovely, hope you are pleased by the final results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleased thanks. I’m struggling with making sandals out of wire at the moment. Along with stringing bows …. So shields are a bit of a break in pace 😃

      Delete
  10. Absolutely brilliant work, Simon. After unashamedly using LBMS transfers for my Germanic warband's shields, I am now going to ashamedly go hang me head, ashamedly.
    The work you've done on the horses, equally stellar.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Put it down to poor planning that I just forgot to order those transfers.

      Delete