Wednesday 2 February 2022

From Iain W - 28mm Napoleonic Austrian Infantry regiment no10 Anton Mittrowski and infantry regiment no15 Zach (245 Points)

These have taken a bit longer than I'd hoped, 48 28mm Perry plastic Austrians, although as you only get one command in a box and I like to field units of 24, I've supplemented them with 2 Victrix plastic figures converted into a flag bearer and the other into a drummer with surplus Victrix French drum arms and drum,the officer is a rather more heavily converted Perry plastic dismounted French dragoon with Victrix arms,he is alright but for the additional six boxes I'm going to use the Perry plastic Confederate command sprue as you get an officer in a long coat, a flag bearers arms and pole and a drum with arms ,perfect for £1.00!


















I still haven't got the white right, the red faced regiment has had another process (a top highlight of white) whereas the green faced regiment I've only used white on the straps  and I kind of think that might work better with the off white uniform? I also was wondering if I should have primed them black like the casualty figures I've done,they're converted from British casualties that you get with Perry's French heavy cavalry and as I have no intention of doing British  (my nephew is and you've got to draw a line somewhere!) so hacked them about a bit, I think they're good enough. So 48 x 5 and 2 x 2.5 gives me 245 points to add to the total and be my first entry in the Napoleonics duel, two more posts like this should more or less get me to my total, better get on with it,I've been thinking about my approach to painting white and I might be onto something, let's hope so as I have literally hundreds of the blighters to do!

All the best 

Iain 

***

Hi Iain - Napoleonic Austrians!! What a lovely sight!! These fellows look lovely, ready to march forward and keep that Corsican fool and his arriviste ambitions in check, where they belong! Very nice work on the conversions too! And as for painting the colour white, I am authorized by the Painting Challenge Gods to share a secret - NOBODY gets it right! It's always some kind of bodge, and I think BOTH approaches you have used here look excellent. I further encourage you to embrace that variety - after all, the Hapsburg Empire was a big place, and I doubt they ever managed a standard of white either. 

Well done!

 GregB

15 comments:

  1. Lots of white here, it is hard to say which of your approaches is better, they both look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really nice, all ranked up they look properly imposing! The causality markers are great, stuff like this really adds to the battlefield instead of using basic markers. I do have to draw your attention to your comment “you have to draw a line somewhere”! I think you’ll find the esteemed members of this blog are proof that you absolutely don’t :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie and yes you might have a point about the esteemed members!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Good work on all that white!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you paint white uniforms so well.

    extermely envious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, I wasn't so sure!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Great conversions for the command element!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always great to see Napoleonics and these are just excellent. Love the conversions, they fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, pretty happy with the conversions to be honest!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Very nice. And brave to take on all that Austrian white - truly one of the hardest colours to paint. If you like a soft white - Iraqi Sand/Iraqi Sand + Off white/Off white is a decent triad.

    ReplyDelete