Friday 20 January 2023

From LeeHv: Tiny Tanks' First Steps (8 Points)

So... As usual, I am up against the deadline. Also as usual, that means I have managed to finish the thing!
 
Well... just one small thing at least.

After setting out to finish a whole host of things for my first ever post, life happened. So cutting my loses and making sure I can stay in the challenge I opted to just get one thing done and submitted. So here it is, a little British Scorpion tank for Cold War period gaming.




I learnt a lot from doing this actually. The biggest thing is that yes... masking out parts of the vehicle with Blue-Tack and then spraying is a great way to get camo patterns. Sadly, I need to remove the Blue-Tack and THEN put the wash on, as otherwise it will dry with little raised outlines where the masking was. You can see that just above the headlights. Sadly I have already got to the post wash stage on most of the miniatures I'm working on.

But no worries, this is still more than good enough for the table. I even bothered to use the decals! That is something else I learnt, that I really need to be more patient with them, and that tiny yellow ones are a complete waste of time!

I also used Citadel's Stirland Mud for the first time, and it looks ace! I especially like the splatter over the flag at the front left mud guard.

So, there is one more of these which is at the same stage but I need to paint the commander sticking out of the turret. And there are 17 more vehicles, tanks and helicopters which are close to this. So I am expecting to get a lot more submitted soon.

Here are some other shots.






Scoring: 1x 15mm Vehicle = 8 Points



Minion Phil: Welcome to the Challenge Lee! I'm glad you stuck it out to get this vehicle in before The Culling. 

Really fine work on this scorpion AFV with its subtle camo pattern and just the right amount of weathering. Cold war gaming seems to be back in vogue, I can't imagine why. 

I look forward to seeing the rest of the company.

18 comments:

  1. Great stuff Lee and good work with the blu-tak masking. I need to give this technique a try on my BAOR vehicles I have upcoming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking Scorpion, nice weathering!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking tank, Lee! Good to have you aboard and waiting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very fine Scorpion, the camo came out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weathering is really good. Welcome to challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done camo. Welcome to the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, welcome to the Challenge, Lee! This is a wonderful looking Scorpion and I look forward to seeing the rest of the project come together (especially the 'copters).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great scorpion Lee.

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful AFV, Lee! I wouldn't have noticed your mess up with the wash without you pointing out! I like the weathering and highlights. Kudos for the decals too, I can never get them right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking scorpion and you can't see those imperfections! Well done for getting in under the wire.

    ReplyDelete