Friday 20 January 2023

From JohnE: 28mm Wolf - [1980s] - (25 Points)

Back in the 80s I developed my interest in horror films, so when I saw the 1980s bonus studio I thought of all the horror themed minis I have laying about. The question was, which one(s)? It didn't take me long to access some deep memories and come up with a solution.

In a decade chock full of werewolf movies there was one that stood out for me as taking a unique approach - Wolfen. The film centers around a cop investigating brutal murders in the South Bronx. The viewer is lead to believe that this may be the work of a werewolf, however [SPOILERS FOLLOW] the perpetrators end up being wolves - not your normal run of the mill wolves, but spiritual beings trying to protect the development of their sacred grounds. (Disclaimer: I haven't seen this film in over 40 years and I am doubtful that it holds up, so I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone take the time to watch it.)

 

 

I just happened to have this rather large wolf primed and ready to go, so here's my tribute to Albert Finney. This miniature has been around for so long, that I don't remember where it came from.

 

 

 

 
 
Points Summary:
 
1 x foot @ 5 points = 5 points
 
1980s (Green Pass) bonus = 20 points
 
Total = 25 points

 

Friday Minion: Crikey John, that's a scary looking wolf. I have not seen Wolfen, is it an 80s classic, or dated turd? Perhaps the other Challengers can weigh in on that. 

I like his whopping bared teeth (all the better to eat you with!), his beady little eyes and the groundwork in particular. 

Don't wolves hunt in packs, though...?

14 comments:

  1. Nice work. Loved the wolf eye camera work in Wolfen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s quite a fearsome wolf! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wolf shame you cannot remember maker as looking for this type of model myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking snarler there, John. A big, bad one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking wolf!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful wolf, John! I remember those films(I think 3) the first one was the best one. Nicely done on the black brute, I particularly like the grey undertones in the fur!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great piece, like him a lot

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mini - lots of character.

    ReplyDelete