Friday 20 January 2023

From GrahameH: Mixture of Stuff, but mainly 15mm (1447 Points)

Made it. My first post just in time (again). I am always impressed by the challengers who plan for this event every year, knowing exactly what they are going to paint, and have everything ready to go on the starting date. Although, I say every year that this time it will be different, I am going to plan etc, I never do. It may be because I always seem to be painting, having more opportunity to paint and collect rather than game. This, and I get bored easily, it seems every year, I am already in the middle of painting a number of armies. So it was this year, therefore, my first entry is a bit of a mish-mash. 

Early Republican Roman

These are 15mm Chariot Miniatures figures. This is not a new army but having watched the Yorkshire Gamers You Tube video I decided my army was too small. I am now down to the last few units, but below are some of the units I have managed to complete during the challenge.

These are Roman Hastati. There are 16 figures to a unit as I wanted to make them smaller than my usual units of 24 figures. Total Points = 64pts 






Next some Velites. I was really short of these as the army expanded, so I had to paint a further 39. Points = 78 





15mm Galatians (Museum Miniatures)

This wasn't a complete army, and I was going to get rid of it as I already had a Ancient Briton army, but I hate selling painted soldiers so I thought I just buy a few more units and use it as Galatians. I think that what the figures are supposed to be anyhow. 

Each unit is made up of 30 figures, as they warbands, so I add a few extra figures and put them on deeper bases. There are four units, the ones with white shields are naked fanatics (I have taken the picture of them at an angle to save their modesty and to try not offend anyone). Points 240





15mm Midianites (Essex Miniatures)

I decided that regardless of how much is currently I have on my painting table, I need something new to give my the feeling I had achieved something extra during this challenge. So having spent a couple of days going through my metal mountain (yes it is that bad), I decided that some camels could be fun. They weren't and I still have a few more units to paint. 

Anyhow the camels. Currently, I have painted one Scout unit (12 X Camels). These are camels with single rider (48 points). Then four units of 16 camels with 2 riders (although 3 on the units have a leader who is mounted on a camel by himself  (so that's 3 units at 94 pts and one unit at 96 pts). Points total 378 pts. Sorry about the pictures but surprisingly the sun came out in the UK and I didn't notice. 





The Foot Warriors. There are three warbands (30 figures each), a bow unit (18 figures) and a skirmish unit (9 figures). Points = 234






WW2 Italian Paratroopers . The "Folgore" Brigade (Battle Front Miniatures, and some 3D printed vehicles)

I really enjoy putting Rapid Fire units together in 15mm so below is part of the "Folgore" Brigade in North Africa. I had already painted the first Parachute Battalion so I have added another two Battalions, an Engineer Battalion, an HQ (vehicles are 3D prints) and 2 20mm AA vehicles (Battle Front), during the challenge. 

Para Battalion X 2 = each of 34 figures = 136pts
Para Engineers = 36 figures and 1 gun = 76pts
2 AA Vehicles, each with 2 crew = 24pts
HQ 2 vehicles and 3 figures 22pts 
Grand Total = 258pts 

Photos of the two Para Bns are first, which are much the same and the Engineer Bn at the end (has more flamethrowers).











Prussian Napoleonic (AB Figures)

I couldn't do the challenge without painting figures for my favourite period, Napoleonic. Not sure I made the right deciding a few years back to base my figures on General de Brigade units. They take ages to paint and are expensive to collect. However, once done I do like the look of them in their big units. Anyhow two Prussian Cavalry Units completed each of 32 figures. 
The first is the 3rd Brandenburg Uhlan Regiment and, the ones in a lighter blue coat, the 2nd Neumark Landwehr Cavalry (I had to replace some of the lances that broke off - the only problem I have with AB figures is lances, swords and bayonets are very delicate). 128 Pts 







Finally something different for me - Games Workshop Gondor Infantry 

Just fancied something different and these have been sitting on the shelves for years. A quick paint job, and another sneaky 60 points 

                            



Nearly forgot I also painted 3 tents for the Midianites (5pts)


So really finally I think that works out at 1205 points and a very big apology to the Friday Minion. SORRY. 



Friday Minion: Holy Smokes Batman, what have we here? This seems like waaaay too much maths for first thing in the morning, but I think we got there. 

It would be super helpful to my Friday morning minion brain to get the number of figures per scoring category claimed as a summary at the end of the post, because I came out with quite a different points tally. You can also break up your post into more than entry. 

I make this out to be:

15mm infantry 359 models x 2 points each = 718
15mm cavalry and gun: 141 x 4 points each = 564
15mm vehicles 4 x 8 points each = 32
28mm infantry 12 x 5 points each = 60
Half a terrain cube for another 10 points

=1384

That leave us to deal with the extra 63 camel riders, at say 1 point each, for another 63.

I make that a grand total of 1447 points.

Of these, I particular appreciated the desert war Italians, with excellent definition, colour choices and groundwork they're a great looking force. The ancients hordes are very nice too, particualrly those Galatians with their jaunty shields and those Prussian cavalry with all their fluttering pennants look wonderful. 

You may not have had a plan for the challenge, but you've made astounding progress this past month - what's next?















 


8 comments:

  1. That's not a points bomb, that's a points carpet bomb! Lovely work on this immense entry, Grahame! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s an awful lot of painting for someone without a plan, Graham! I like the black lining on your vehicles. The Prussian cavalry are very nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, Graham! You've been very busy! The ancients are wonderful as are the Italians and Gondor boys, but I think your napoleonic lancers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my lord that is a huge paint bomb, fabulous collection of miniatures.

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graham, you do this pretty mush every year! Huge opening entry. Great work on all these items. Particularly like the WW2 Italians and your Napoleonics. I'm planning some 8th Army 15mm later in this year's challenge - you've set a very high standard...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible entry! Is that the largest points bomb/points nuke that we've ever had? Great work on a huge variety of projects - I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete