Thursday 12 January 2023

From PeterD: Roman Lanciarii (33 points)

 


Second post for me this week, a group of 6 Lanciariiiii for my Late Romans.  These are 28mm plastics, mostly from the fairly new Victrix boxed set plus a few add ons from Gripping Beast plastic Romans (shields and a head or too).



Lanciarii were detachments of Legionaries or Auxiliaries told off to form a skirmish line much like the Napoleonic Light companies.  The name references the use of the lancea, a light throwing spear.    I've also thrown in a couple with plumbata, essentially militarized lawn darts with a lead weight added for extra distance and punch.  I again painted shields to match up with Legio Secunda Britannica.



I am normally late to the game on new figure releases, but when Victrix released Unarmoured Roman Infantry this year I was pretty quick on the PayPal switch.  They make an interest contrast to the Gripping Beast Plastic Roman Infantry.  Comparisons are summarized below.

  • Gripping Beast are better value, 40 figures for 24 quid vs 36 figures for 34 quid.
  • The GB box includes torsos for armoured spear/swordsmen, unarmoured spear/swordsmen and archers while the Victrix has no archers and they are mostly unarmoured.  Consequently there's less variety of poses to form a single unit using the GB figures, but this gives them, a more "regular" appearance.
  • Both kits come with lots of possible head and arm/weapon combos.   The GB he's are all "roman" and include some in Pannonian caps which Victrix lacks.  Victrix does both Roman and Barbarian heads.  So far it appears that heads and arms can be swapped about between ranges.
  • The GB torsos have the sleeve and should decoration carved in, while these have to be painted on the Victrix figures.  Therefore GB make good Romans or deserters, while Victrix figures can double as Germanic tribes. 
  • I think both boxes are good and useful, and I'll like buy more of each.




The 30 points will count for two Side Duels (Carausius Emperor of Britain and SPQR) and I'll fill in the requisite forms once they go live.

From TeemuL: Good looking Lanciarii and nice to share the comparison between different products. The solution seems to be buy everything. :) I'll give you a few extra points for hand painted shields.

31 comments:

  1. They look great! I'm actually building a late Roman army for Saga and was about to buy the Gripping Beast box when I saw the new Victrix release. Still waiting to buy them, have not yet arrived supplies to my local hobby shop in Madrid. After watching your post, I think it's worth being patient and wait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. Looking forward to seeing your Romans Benito. My advise is get both!

      Delete
  2. Great post and info thanks. My late Romans are are Wargames Foundry and not gone for plastics yet - great painting and could see these figures joining my armies.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handsome units. it's good to see your collection grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oups, somehow my comment was posted as "anonymous".

      Delete
    2. All part of your enigmatic charm. Thanks

      Delete
  4. Great looking late Romans, just got to get past a couple of Napoleonic units then I'll join you, useful intel on the Victrix kit, based on what you say I think I'll pick a box up to add to my GB one, you should get commission!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, looking forward to seeing yours. I doubt Victrix will see it that way re commissions!

      Delete
  5. Great work Peter, especially on their tunics. I like Teemu's advice to simply buy everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My budget office may have something to say about that.

      Delete
  6. @ Teemu thanks for he comments and the extra points. In this case yes, buy em both and mix and match body bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I'm just a public servant minion, doing my job. I don't have a Late Roman army yet, but now I know where to start. :)

      Delete
  7. Nicely done Peter. As someone who has been threatening to paint Romans for years, but has accomplished sweet f*ck all toward that goal, I respect your efforts here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. You have Byazantines which are kind of evolved Romans

      Delete
  8. It’s always great to see late Romans, and yours are a pleasure to behold, Peter. Very useful too the comparison between the two manufacturers (you may see something similar in my Saturday post 😉). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff a big fan of late Roman’s

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can never go wrong with some Romans Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice and the explanation of units field use is much appreciated. Both companies look great.

    ReplyDelete