Thursday 12 January 2023

From AndrewB: Great White Fleet pt1! Retro! (80s)(35pts)

Wowza, there’s a distinct lack of posts from me this week, sorry folks!   Have a bunch of stuff that just needs to get based, then I’ll get the posts written for next week and we’ll be back up to steam for next week, and we’ll finish the first month strong.   

This week, the model I wrapped up which thankfully requires no basing, is a 1/600 scale USS Texas from Old Glory’s Age of Ironclad line.  I absolutely misread the studio room as ‘80s’, which is when this bad mama-jama was designed and laid down.  Not these most recent 80s, but the ones before that.  It certainly fits the ‘retro’ aspect though, so no harm, no foul.  

I intend to put together a ‘floor’ style game for these models, using a modification of a rule set written by Chris Arnold over at Not Jay’s Table Top Gaming on YouTube.  If anyone’s around the Midwest, I should have the game running at the March to Victory convention in Kansas City on March 22, immediately following the closing of festivities here.  


I’m not sure I’m entirely sold on the grime/coal dust effect I was going for, but that’s how it goes sometimes.  The search for the better method continues. 



I decided to go with the US Navy’s Great White Fleet scheme here, even though it wasn’t in place across the fleet at the time of the Spanish American War.   It’s just looks fantastic, and incredibly distinct compared to the grays I’m used to.  The Spanish black scheme should be fun as well. 

I’m not entirely sure on how to score this big girl, but it’s bigger than 15mm vehicles, smaller than 28mm, but still sorta simple    I was going to run with 10pts like a 15mm vehicle, if that’s ok with Teemu and the high mucky mucks.  That would bring me to 30pts with the bonus for the room, as well as leaving me with only one remaining room in the green zone!   We’ll be through the blue soon!

From TeemuL: 15mm vehicles are worth only 8 points, but there is 20mm vehicles category, too, worth 15 points. There is scoring for Black Seas Ships, too, and 1 category there is worth 15 points. I know nothing of ships or their rates, but I'll book this one as 3rd rate Black Seas Ship, worth 15 points. Naval experts, please give your opinions, and I make corrections if needed.

Anyway, that ship looks nice, the white colour is eye catching. Looking forward to see your next post next week.

8 comments:

  1. Love the ships of this era. Nice work on this old warhorse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super stuff, I do love dreadnoughts, my Texas lays in dry dock after a tumble, I have started basing the entire white fleet but yet to finish. The Spanish do look good in black but unfortunately are well outclassed so scenarios need to be well written.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pre-dreadnought, Andrew. I agree she looks well in her evening dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Peter, I love the ships of this time period, with all their weird warts, curves and bumps. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glory Be! That's a wonderful ship. Well done indeed, Sir! You've really done her justice. I am sure that your game in March is going to be incredible!

    ReplyDelete