Monday 16 January 2023

From SylvainR: Tray 5 - Regimental and Divisional Assets for the D.A.K. (104 points)

 


 

More goodies for the Deutsch Afrika Korps. This time, I present to you the support units above the battalion: regimental and divisional assets. In my post, last week, I explained the color codes I chose for my combat companies. Within a battalion, the organization is quite simple, but the diagram of a division is quite complex and to try to color code everything would have added complexity while I'm trying to keep things simple for new players. So my solution was as follow: any units above the battalion would be either common (white), rare (grey) or unique (black). A rare unit would be, for example, a 170mm howitzer in North Afrika. A unique unit, would be one that would requires special rules to play, or one that would be used in a specific historical scenario. For example, I coded my Tiger Is with black, as well as Field Marshal Rommel. You can see that the units in the tray, above, are organized in "sections" and can be either attached to the battalion commander or be given their own commander, depending on the needs and the rules system.



Let's start with three command units. There are two commanders for "common" units and one for "rare" units. From what I could gather, yes, Schwimmwagen were used in North Africa, because of their off-road qualities. But their amphibious capacity was certainly not put to the test...




Here are two leIG18 (75mm) infantry guns, with a caisson for ammunition. I think the guns are from CinC and the trailers from GHQ.





For indirect fire, here are 4x leFH18 (105mm) howitzers, 4x sFH18 (150mm) howitzers and 2x Kanone 18 (170mm) howitzers. In the O'Group rules system, the artillery guns are used to represent the number of fire missions and are kept at the edge of the table, to indicate that these "off board" units. One of the (many) reasons why I really love 6mm scale is because you can have models like the massive Kanone 18, a monster that would not fit in my garage. I had to display this behemoth on a 2"x1.25" base, double the size of the standard bases I use. But this is only more opportunities to create some terrain! All the models are from Heroics & Ros I believe.



Next, we have a company of PaK 40 (75mm) anti-tank guns, to plug the holes when the battle line has been breach by allied armored vehicles. Models are from both GHQ and CinC.




The last models are anti-aircraft guns. 6x FlaK 38 (20mm), 6x Flakvierling 38 (20mm) and 6x FlaK 36 (88mm). The FlaK 38 came in 2 parts (gun + base), but CinC's Flakvierlings came in 5 parts (core, left guns, right guns, shield, base). In the collection I inherited, most of the Flakvierlings were un-assembled and I can understand why. These little parts really test your sanity.

I'm really happy with the look of the iconic 88mm. The CinC model came with the carriage sections and I decided to put them on the base, to show the gun was hastily unlimbered, but now that I look at the picture, the base feels a little crowded. Oh well, learn for next time! Models are from Heroics & Ros, CinC and GHQ.

For the points:

The vehicles were already painted, so should not be counted.

- 124 figures (62 points)

- 42 weapons (42 points)

Grand total of 104 points.


Thank you for reading!

Très bien mon vieux!  Loving seeing this project evolve and looking forward to playing with/blowing up this stuff on table.  Great basing on all the units.   I quite like the limber for the 88 and the massive howitzers.

Perhaps the schwimmwagens are looking for the water where the rock painted swimmers in the English Patient swam?


14 comments:

  1. Excellent. Your army project is really progessing well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done, Sylvain! A lot of small troops in this year's challenge and these are very well done. They look grand all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your project is growing apace, isn’t it? More fine work, and I love your clever colour coding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. This is a great scale for western desert warfare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful brushwork, Sylvain. I'm looking forward to our first foray with these miniatures in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous looking army Sylvain.

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking DAK, I love the big guns in this scale!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent DAK and you are really showing the full potential of 6mm figures.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really enjoying this project.

    ReplyDelete