Monday 16 January 2023

From DarrellH: Thematic Byzantine, Heavy Tagmata Kavallarioi (130 points)

Thematic Byzantines? They have been in my dreams for years; to put together a Nikephorian/Macedonian Dynasty Byzantine Army. The why of it all etc will become apparent as the story expressed bu my expeditious hand and brushwork become more apparent down the line. Suffice to say, for now, that it goes back to the early 2000's and the games of Warhammer Ancient Battles we used to play with faithful devotion every week at SESWC, Edinburgh Wargames Club. It was Andrew Eason's Thematic Byzantine army that drew my eye then and ever since, I have craved such an army. Gripping Beast's Black Friday sale made this urge a irresistible opportunity!

Here we have what will be the first of four units of Thematic Byzantine, Heavy Tagmata Kavallarioi. Two with barding and two without so I can move with some flexibility through the centuries whilst maintaining a high degree of historical accuracy (approx. 800-1050 CE).

As many of you may know, the Tagmata regiments were full time well trained professional regiments of soldiers formed by Emperor Constantine V as early as 741-743 CE. The idea being to have troops who were extremely loyal to the Emperor at hand to face any of the many revolts that took place with alarming regularity.

I have painted these guys in in speculative colours; both the clothing and some parts of the armours.  Their mounts are barded with lamellar, made of horn or iron. I chose to go with a red and creamy white with the bards and to vary the patterns on each model so's to create a degree of uniformity (these being Tagmata troops) whilst not being too prescriptive. Half way through rendering the horses in the colour scheme I had that uncomfortable feeling that I was a little over the top but seeing them cavalrymen on their mounts eventually waylaid any concerns I was having.

Whilst the army was bought largely for historical and aesthetic reasons I do plan to take part in a friendly WAB tournament sometime early this year. 




Painting all the banners and shields would only have resulted in a much reduced army but the time the AHPC is over so I opted to do both the shield designs and the banners with superb Little Big Man Transfers. I added an extra banner in the event that I might been to add an "Army standard" or something of that nature in the future.

#

This back view of the unit provides a really nice impression of the Klivanion (Lamellar armour) atop of the mail which in turn is atop of an Epilorikion (padded under armour). Each soldier carries a 2.7 meter Kontarion with the exception of the four archers in the back ranks who are equipped with recurved composite bows and archers equipment.

The officer has made the decision for forgo wearing his Pektorarion (sash) but wields his Sideroravdion (Heavy Mace) as the unit canters home. 




Piccies of each mini for more details- all images should be "clickable".




















So, 12 Cavalry models at 10 points a piece should earn me 120pts?

Darrell was a late poster last Monday, so I thought that I'd lead with him today. 

The Heavy Kavallarioi are offing amazing Darrell, I really like the red/cream theme colours that you've selected, very effective and quite eye catching.  Also your basing and sabot are wonderful.  I think that we can all be glad that you've succumbed to the solving this Byzantine enigma.

I am upping your score for all the horse trapping and fiddly bits on the armour. 

45 comments:

  1. Simply gorgeous. Love the warm tones. Well done Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic entry - wonderful colour and detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning brushwork. And I must say it is great to encounter someone else who has long harboured ambitions to paint Byzantines :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they can have that effect on a person..... hopefully we'll see many more in the future. I did have a good gander to see if anyone had done Thematics, saw your work and was pleased to see that you were creating your army from BtGG and for WAB- same here!

      Delete
  4. These are simply beautiful, stunning brushwork and colour choices! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome looking Byzantines! My first Osprey was Byzantine armies and I'm super tempted by them, mine will never be as good as these though!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and..... yep, it's those damn Osprey artists who definitely are partly blame! LOL

      Delete
  6. Fantastic painting- very colourful without being over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely painting, Darrell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work, Darrell! I like the treatment you gave the colors on this squadron. They look very impressive both singly and in mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I wasn't sure half way through but they seem to have turned out without being too gaudy.

      Delete
  9. Lovely painting and very neat photography -- great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these are some absolute stunners!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great Darrell, they really look the part!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great painting - will be amazing playing with these figures on the table. Dont fancy a game facing them though ......
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. With my dice rolling I don't think you would have much to worry about :>)

      Delete
  13. Amazing work Darrell, even the lamellar on the horses is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic looking unit, Darrell! Always pleased to see Byzantines, and these are absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely figures. Well done, Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cracking brushwork Darrell, they colour combination works a treat and a good big unit too!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I've ever seem you produce anything better and that's saying something. I just can't fathom how its possible to paint as well as this - just stunning

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! They look just amazing in those colours

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply amazing, Darryl. They're really superb. These rival the other (superb) painting you've done in the Challenge over the years. The colours work perfectly. I have always loved your painting, and these are just brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sidney. I don't quite know what to say so I'll leave it at a very appreciative thank you!

      Delete