Monday 16 January 2023

KenR : 1/700 HMS Eskimo WW2 Tribal Class Destroyer (40 points)

 

I appear to have been slightly sidetracked by my 1/700 WW2 stuff, my problem is I'm having way to much fun building and painting these ships, they are so hard to put down and I just love the finished look.

This model is from a company called Trumpeter, they do very nice kits and they are supplied with a waterline version like this one or if you prefer a display piece with the lower hull the parts for that and a little display base are included too. They go together really well and are a great kit to build.

The Tribal Class Destroyers were probably one of the best Allied light ships of the 2nd world war, Torpedoes had be sacrificed for gun power and its 4 twin 4.7 inch guns were a big upgrade on the 4 single gun Turrets of the earlier Destroyers.

I've chosen to represent HMS Eskimo with this model and I've used an early Western Approaches Camouflage pattern of Light Grey / White and WA Green to give an unusual but effective look. I've used a fair bit of weathering on this to tone down the green which was looking a bit radioactive at one point !

Eskimo was badly damaged in the Battle of Narvik and had her bow blown off by a German Torpedo, it's amazing that she made it home looking at the damage she suffered. After repair the Eskimo spent most of the war based at Plymouth before heading out to the far east towards the end of the conflict. Sadly like most WW2 vessels she was scrapped after the war. A single Tribal Class Destroyer remains, as a museum in Canada.

Points wise I will go for 40 again like the last ship, they are about the same size on the same base etc. I've got a second post today with some "proper" wargames figures but I doubt this will be the last ship you will see in the Challenge.


I am loving these 1/700 scale ships Ken, the finished results are spectacular.   The Western Approaches came and weathering look amazing in your photos.  From a 21st century perspective the names of the Tribal class destroyers can be problematic and to Canadians,  HMS Eskimo is the most problematic (see  link).  However, they were fine ships, had very good fighting histories and I've got several in my 1/2400 scale fleet. 

There don't appear to be any crew members on this one, can you confirm?  More importantly can you share the recipe for your textured sea bases?  Points wise I'm basically making stuff up on this scale until Miles and Curt tell otherwise so 40 sounds great.


43 comments:

  1. Whatever "most Canadians" might think, this is a fine modelling effort Ken. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beatifully painted warship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great effort Ken in what is an amazing project

    ReplyDelete
  4. A worthwhile side track - fab painting. What game(s) do you play with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, I game WW2 Naval with them 😉 we use my own rules 👍

      Delete
  5. Love the ship and the basing,Ken! I can almost smell the spray in the crisp wind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Just to cover the ship name thing, I had absolutely no idea that there were negative connotations. Its obviously not reached Pudsey yet.
    The ship model is sold with that name and only comes with the decals for it, I'm guessing that many of the "Tribal" class Destroyer names will appear dated to some.
    My take on anything like this, names / symbols etc, is that if it it's historically correctly and not promoting anything negative I'm fine with it.
    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey not a worry Ken, history tells us that how we interpret things changes over time. My grandparents were born on 4 continents so when I did my tribals I picked names that related to the three that weren't Europe.

      Delete
    2. Cheers, as for crew, I haven't put any on this model, still making my mind up on them. There are a couple of Sea Basing Tutorials on the Yarkshire Gamer Utubes Channel 👍

      Delete
  7. It was the name of the actual ship, Ken - nothing to do with you and I don't think you need to feel responsible for any ill feelings. I suppose anyone who has an issue can contact the Admiralty. In any event you've done an excellent job on this model, it's a great tribute to those who served on her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a brilliant little ship Ken looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great model, again great painting, and your photos are spectacular! I’d love to see more of these ships, so I’m glad there may be more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I've got another 15 kits to build so there will definitely be more 👍

      Delete
  10. Absolutely wonderful! The basing and water plumes are superb and add a real sense of action and movement

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking ships. The water plumes look very realistic. I got to visit the last surviving Tribal class destroyer in 2013 - HMCS Haida. It is a floating museum ship in Hamilton, Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fred, Haida is definitely a trip I want to make if I get back to Canada again 😀

      Delete
  12. That is one stonkingly beautiful ship, Ken. I really like the green camouflage element and, like the previous model, the water effect is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, we didn't half paint our ships some wierd colours back then ! Makes for fun modelling now.

      Delete
  13. That is a fine looking model Ken, really lovely.

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful brilliant beautiful. the trials were luvely ships and you have done them proud.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome looking Tribal class destroyer! Lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you are doing with these WW" vessels, this is a brilliant example and is beautiful to view.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! The detailing and weathering on thos is superb; hope to see more later in the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers I'm really getting into the weathering 👍

      Delete