Saturday 20 January 2024

From ChrisW 15mm Hammers Slammers [190 points]

 


So, fresh from last weeks single vehicle success I decided to continue with the remaining 23 Fifth Foreign legion vehicles that were sitting on my painting table. Therefore, of course, I wound up painting a bunch of Hammers Slammers vehicles instead!

They are a mix of mostly Brigade Models, with some GZG APCs. I did do some work on the 5th Foreign Legion vehicles throughout the week and started prepping a batch of 28 vehicles for the opponents of the Legion but it was only these Slammers that were done by weeks end. On the positive side I guess I am somewhat over the hump that had been blocking my painting.

Here is the group en masse.

There is a total of 20 vehicles in this unit and so far 15 infantry riding in vehicles. So far I have not yet decided which infantry figures to use for the unit. The 6 larger APCs are by GZG and are metal while the rest are resin models by Brigade models.

I have yet to read the books, but have recently tried to get into them, so I based the paint jobs on pics from the web. Up first is the 1st tank squadron.



In the Crucible rule book they state that the tanks are polished for parades but in the field they are allowed to be less shiny. I was aiming for a patina so I went with a few different layers of various metal colours over a black prime and gun metal base coat. I washed the tanks with Agrax earthshade then burnished the surface with GW Necron dry compound.

Second squadron



The blower tanks are really big, I mean really big! They dwarf any of my other 15mm sci-fi tanks, hell they dwarf any of my 20mm WWII tanks! 

Then there is the infantry transports




and the fast attack vehicles




Two versions of the same vehicle: I prefer the larger version, easier to get the troops into them

and finally the main command vehicle and some local air defense.



So a quick note about the lack of decals. When I bought these figures I planned to use some decals that I already have. However in researching how to paint these figures I became enamoured with the proper decals, so rather than using any old decals I have instead placed an order for decals from Brigade Models.

So that is it for this week

  • 160 points for 20 x 15mm vehicles
  •   30 points for 15 x 15mm infantry figures

Total of 190 points 

Thank you

No, THANK YOU Chris! Loving these blowers and transports, your work on them is outstanding. I also did a GZG Hammers Slammers project years ago, in 28mm, but your 15mm models look the business. The steel hulls look awesome and really do the models justice. And I do recommend the books although it's been awhile since I read them, you can get them in a two-volume omnibus edition. I'm stoked to add 190 points to your tally!

Dallas


20 comments:

  1. I like the paintwork on those hover tanks. I have a few of them myself, has given me some inspiration to do some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that is all of takes, good luck!

      Delete
  2. I have loved these book for decades and enjoyed them again last year, just before author David Drake passed away. Your Blowers and Combat Cars are a great tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have just started reading them, not certain why it took so long for me to start.

      Delete
  3. Lovely hovercrafts. I love the idea of an entire battlefield awash with swirls and eddys from the multiple blowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, as Dallas says you’ve nailed the steel nulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it took some experimentation to get the look the way I wanted.

      Delete
  5. Very fun models Chris and great brush work. Wonderful project as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hammer's Slammers! Fantastic, and as Dallas says, so cool to see this setting appear in the Painting Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these blowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Slammers books as well as your hover tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These vehicles have turned out really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, never seem any of these figures before they look really great love what you've done with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this was the first time that I saw them too, those colour adverts worked!

      Delete
  11. Great bunch of Blowers! Love the scale for this too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not seen any Ham and Slam for a while, great job 👏

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very fine work, Chris! They look like we'll used machines and I like the different color skirts on the tanks shows different years of production very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought about painting some random plates different colours to represent replacement parts but could not decide...

      Delete