Saturday 20 January 2024

From KyleC - Characters (15 PTS)

A really slow week due to work being super heavy, but also trialing out color schemes for armies which is always super frustrating at times. 

First up is the test model for a renewed fantasy army.. Khorne Lord on Monstrous Mount for Warriors of Chaos to be used in the renewed Fantasy The Old World coming soon. Hopefully my rule books arrive soon from Games Workshop but we shall see. 

He is the failcast version, sadly. So lots of issues with the sculpt. And weird tabs everywhere that I needed to clip (and still were clipping after painting portions of it). 

Started with the airbrush to lay down some reds using GW colors to get some intensity here and there. And then used nuln oil to darken the bottom portions some to give it a bit of a gradient. 

Brass for the trims cause Khorne.. I am really happy with how the base came out as it's a lot of sci-fi concrete piles being stuck to the base overr cork. And then dirt added. Fairly simple but yet looks the business. 

He should be a good starting point for the army and is a cheaper option for a dangerous warlord to lead them into battle. 

Then we switch gears fully... I was trying to paint some space wolves but I just couldn't get my heart or head into them. So painted an Eldar Warlock instead 😅

And in yellow of all colours?!?!?! 

It was a fun little distraction that I actually spent a few evenings on him playing around with the yellow bits. 

Am only really not happy with the sword so it might get redone at some point. But the rest of the model is how I envisioned it. And I can see myself painting a few more models randomly for this army in this scheme over the coming months. But it is definitely not a core focus army for me atm so not sure when or if it will ever get finished. 

Easy points today. 
1* 28mm figure - 5 pts
1* 28mm Calvary - 10 pts

Total - 15 pts

Really nice work here Kyle on iconic GW characters. First, the Khorne Lord... I really like this one. The red is saturated and atmospheric, of course brass trim because Khorne, the shading looks super and the base really finishes it off well. Looks like you used a new-size 30x60mm base too? Looks good and suits the model. The Warlock is really nice as well. I totally get your comment about "focus army" - it's hard to stay focussed when there's so much cool stuff to work on. But I'm glad to see you taking these diversions!


Dallas

18 comments:

  1. Thanks Dallas. Its good to start new projects for sure here. Also the Lord is on the new Monster Mount base of 50x75. Way too big for the new calvary bases of 30x60..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the classic Eldar. That Khorne guy is fantasy? I'd be terrified facing that with a wooden spear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he's not one someone will want to meet wearing light armour and only armed with a spear for sure!

      Delete
  3. Great work here Kyle. I love the Khorne beast, a big upgrade on the old cuboid Beasts from back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Peter. I have the old blocky 40k one as well somewhere, and this is far and away much better.. even if it is in the GW Failcast resin there..

      Delete
  4. Excellent painting. I’m drawn to the elder figure Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. Am hoping that I can muster up the strength to do a few more of them in the future. Got a 'few' models of them out in the garage atm.

      Delete
  5. The red and bronze is very effective. Great work on the yellow, always a tricky colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Both are difficult to get to read properly.. so am chuffed that they came out as well as they did here! The Chaos Ogres I am working on now will have some adjustments to make them a bit darker, but still working nicely thus far!

      Delete
  6. Very nice e work on the red blends. Yellow can really be a tricky color too. Great work there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow can be tough but got a few mates who helped me with their recipes and I just adjusted to taste.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work Kyle. I have similar thoughts on Finecast, sometimes it feels you sculpted the model yourself from all teh crud you have to cust out of the resin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great work on these the colors are really well done yellow can be rather challenging but you've nailed it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, love the mounted figure, full of detail 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fine work, Kyle! Figuring color schemes out or not...that is certainly a brilliant red and tasty yellow you did! Those colors came out very fine!

    ReplyDelete