Saturday 20 January 2024

From SebastianR: Sandy when wet [Maritime] (28 Points)

A quick dirty post for a quick dirty pair of paint jobs. Well mostly.

An uncontroversially maritime miniature; a German Type 1934 Destroyer lent by a friend to bridge this gap.

I painted the base rather than fuss with the toilet paper ocean method; it will be returning to it's owner, so he can create one of his 3D bases if he wishes.

 

Secondly, a trio of... unidentified military hovercraft of unknown provenance.

Post in the comments about how they're Zubr Class LCACs. They're not LCACs. Look closer.

Weird colour scheme though right? I have no use for them, and they're kinda janky models. I got them in a bag of similarly janky WARPAC sculpts, from a defunct producer.

I decided that I was going to paint them in desert colours in order to fit them in with my friends ongoing desert planet sci-fi setting.

The disruptive camo scheme was an opportunity to play with new techniques, specifically masking and painting by rattlecan. I'm not entirely sure that I gained anything over painting freehand and they were looking pretty gloopy by the time I had finished, but here we are.

Overall, not a huge fan of this paint job, but they received the attention they deserved, both as a "we have LCAC at home" and for the amount of table top time they will receive, i.e. none, given that in my opinion they can only realistically represent off map convoy vehicles.

4 x <2mm vehicles for 8 points

Challenge 20 points

28 points


The models look nice Seastian, I always struggle with the Maritime category as well because I'm not a naval gamer (mostly). But your destroyer fills the bill for the stack and the hovercraft look kinda neat as well. Kudos to you for painting camo on such tiny models (are they really smaller than 2mm?? I've scored them as 6mm) Good job.


28 points for you!

Dallas

10 comments:

  1. Nice models. I too am struggling with maritime. I did think about buying something in, but I figured it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to clear the leadpile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Sebastian. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little tin can and hover things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite like that camo scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They might have been janky to assemble but the hover tanks as painted look good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the camo scheme on the not-Zubrs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on what can be a hard to complete set of bonue points

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice way of ticking off a Library section 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. They work just fine in clearing the category! I do quite like the hovercraft though the look very fine in the camouflage you did. I myself have been drifting more into skirmish than big battles but recently we did a 40k battle and the setup was convoy ambush using every tank we could lay our hands on as terrain!

    ReplyDelete