Saturday 20 January 2024

From PaulSS: Maritime - Royal Navy landing party - 60pts

 

When the "Maritime" location came up I remembered that in the pile o' shame were some Brigade Games Royal Navy Landing Party that I had picked up several years ago when I made this entry back in Challenge IX. The figures have languished ever since, but as this challenge for me is really about clearing that backlog of lead and plastic and they were dug out for completion.


I decided to use Citadel Contrast Paints over VMC light grey surface primer on these and I think I may rue that decision as they have not come out with the best of finishes. 


Some close-ups of the chaps, lovely sculpts by Paul Hicks, but you can see where the Contrast Colours have not worked that well.





Eight 28mm foot figures, plus the location bonus will add 60pts to my total.


This RN landing party looks great and is a very appropriate entry for the Maritime stack. I've struggled with this category myself in past Challenges, as I don't do any significant amount of naval gaming. One time I even entered a Porsche 928 for Gaslands under this category. But back to your entry... Contrast paints! I like the way that the shading came out on these and I've sometimes considered trying them myself - but I am a black-primer from way back and that doesn't work with Contrast. Anyway congrats on the clever entry and 60 points will be added!

Dallas

19 comments:

  1. They look good. Paul Hick's sculpts are always fun to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to get the best from Contrast. I think the 'Slapchop' isn't too bad, with a bit of thinning medium. I'm trying out brown/ cream undercoats rather than black, grey, or white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Barks, they have their uses, but straight over white can be a bit meh!

      Delete
  3. These are really good and exactly where contrast paints excel! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely landing parry. I like the basing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I thought about doing them more deck like, but that would mean building a ship to play on...

      Delete
  5. Excellent figure and brush work Paul. The Hicks sculpts are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, Hicksy does turen out some lovely models.

      Delete
  6. @Dallas, Thank you, Contract paints have a use, but not for everything or everyone

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking great Paul, the figures are really nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant mate, like these, unusual subject 👍 my thoughts on Contrast Paints are well known 😆

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work on the landing party, Paul! I like the rabble look to them. I once thought to use contrast and speed paints to finish quickly, but have learned two things. They wreck brushes so always use the cheap ones! They do a really fine job of blocking in color and eliminate a lot of the extra steps for shading and highlighting.
    I found a nice flat white that takes the contrast/speed paints well and can block in colors very fast now. The speed/contrast paints are also a ready made glaze to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you David. I also find the Black Templar great for "black lining"
    They do indeed mess up brushes, I have a couple of old knackered ones just to use for this.

    ReplyDelete