Wednesday 10 January 2024

KenR : Machine Guns for the Pope (New Aquistions) (50 points)

 

It's been a bit of a week an here is my third entry. I found out about the Papal Machine Gun in my Podcast chat with Nick Schofield about the Papal Zouaves, I picked the figures up at the last show I attended hence the New Aquistion claim).

The weapon was called a Claxton Gun and unsurprisingly no one makes one, in fact finding pictures of it was hard enough. There is an example in a museum in Belgium but sadly they didn't reply to my enquiries. It had a really interesting firing mechanism (for an engineer anyway 😁) the Gun fired by a lever at the back of the gun being rocked from side to side, which fired two adjacent barrels one after the other. This was done until the barrels started to over heat at which point the Gun was manually rotated to the next two barrels lined up and firing began again. Obviously it wasn't very successful as no one has heard of it !

I've used the Perrys French Mitralleurs Gun model as my base, perfect as the Papal Crew had exactly the same uniform as the French (bar the cap and belt badges). So to Claxton up the Gun, I've added a 6 holed end to the barrel with green stuff, a shield made of plastic card and the rocker firing mechanism from an old bit of sprue. I have to say it's not perfect but I'm well pleased with it.

So points wise there are 4 28mm crew figs at 5 points each with 10 points for the gun and 20 for the Library section, a grand total of 50.  It's been a busy week and I'm maxing out my points whilst I have time as I know the back end of the Challenge I will be busier at work. Next week expect more Garibaldi, I might even finish them.

***

Nothing gets my Catholic attention like the title "Machine Guns for the Pope"! Great work here as usual Ken, and it is particularly fun to read about just how whacky and impractical these early versions of machine guns were, before evolving into the chillingly lethal battlefield tools of the 20th century. The description of the mechanism of this thing sounds just about like something Wile E. Coyote might have devised as part of his futile quest to "get" the elusive Roadrunner...

50 points to your total, we look forward to more! 

32 comments:

  1. Vwry nice, Ken. I can't say it looks wrong, so I guess it looks real enough. Clever use of green stuff and sprues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love 19th century tech be it on land or at sea. Greg nailed it with his coyote comment, I think you could mail order one from ACME. No one can critique your bodge of the weapon since no one knows what it looks like (except some snotty Belgians).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've done a cracking job on this, the gun and the figures look awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work modelling up your own version and the paint job is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really lovely work. I'd love to see a game with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it never saw action but I'm sure I can sneak it on the table at some stage 😁

      Delete
  6. Wow. That's a wonderful bit of research and kitbashing, Ken. I think you've done a great job on recreating it. Nevertheless, like many Catholic things: it sounds interesting in theory, but often encounters 'issues' when interacting with real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, who doesn't want a Holy Machine Gun ! must be at least +3 vs undead 😆

      Delete
  7. Very cool Ken! Both the kit bashing and all the pinstripes are amazing. This is may favourite post so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Cheers, it came out of the Podcast chat, we decided it would be a great bumper sticker 😆

      Delete
  9. A great choice to model and definitely unique! I wonder if the papal guard still have one in reserve...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to know if it was still in the Papal Archives

      Delete
  10. Wonderful work Ken. Great explanation and representation. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its always a joy to see your stuff Ken, nice Popegun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great submission Ken! Great conversion and the painting top notch as usual. I loved that podcast, and as, as you know, the Netherlands surprisingly provided the most Papal zouaves this really strikes a chord with me! Just out of interest, which Belgian museum? Might be able to check it out. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's at Le Grand Curtius in Leige if you make it I'd be grateful if you could grab some photos of the side and rear of the gun and carriage 😁👍

      Delete
    2. I’ve been there a few years ago, but the weapons expecition was not there yet. I think they now actually have a photo of the thing on the website (the penultimate of the reel) https://www.grandcurtius.be/fr/actualites/news/lexposition-permanente-consacree-aux-armes-est-complete

      Delete
    3. Cheers, I've got those photos 👍 I emailed them to see if they had pics or could take pics of the other angles of the gun not shown but they didn't get back to me 👍

      Delete
  13. Nicely done Ken.. a but of plasticare is always a great addition /scratchbuiid

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can’t help but worry for all of the infantry and cavalry you’ve painted with these around! Smashing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it looks a lot more dangerous than it actually was 😁

      Delete
  15. excellent - I assume its more 1859 than 1848? maybe 1866?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unique entry! Nice conversion work on the gun.

    ReplyDelete