Wednesday 10 January 2024

From - ShawnD 28MM Forest Troll gunners (30 Points)

First post and first painted mini!  Here are my 28MM Mantic Forest Troll Gunners!  Any advice is appreciated.



I know the army painter grey is making my paint darker than I want.  I think this is 30 points but unsure.

***

Hello and welcome to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, Shawn! As your brutal, totalitarian Minion it falls to me to share a few bits of feedback:

- Great painting! But don't hesitate to share a few more words...some of us are wordier than others, and not all of us love the typing-and-sharing, but a big part of the fun is learning/sharing/ranting...were these hard to paint? Easy? Are they part of a long term project, or a spur of the moment thing, or a club effort...did you love or hate the models - or maybe both? Feel free to share :)

- Remember not to hit "publish"; your Minion will take care of that part...

As for scoring, it looks like we have three based figures, but these are large 28mm fellows, with"regular" 28mm fellows hitching a ride (as one apparently does with Forest Trolls...?). Let's count the trolls in this instance as "cavalry", which will indeed bring you to 30 points. 

Welcome again, and be sure to reach out with any questions!

GregB 

17 comments:

  1. Welcome on board Shawn. I certainly wouldn’t like to encounter those fellows down the woods

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Shawn, hopefully your trip around the Library will be smoother than the ride that these gunners are getting. Nice work and nice to see these officially posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, Shawn! A quick highlight or drybrush on skin and harness will do wonders to make them more lively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, I have some brushes on the way to help me with drybrushing.

      Delete
  4. nice first post Shawn, I think they look great. Teemu is correct though the added dry brush will do the trick

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great first entry Shawn! Seems a perfect way to solve the problem of how to make your gun line better at melee, not sure about aiming though…

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cracking start to the APHC journey Shawn! Nice work, especially the riders. I'll second Greg, tell us a little more about the background and what they will be used to play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Millsy, these are for my Halfling army for Kow. I have a couple sets of these that will be in reserves. Looking to master the nuance of this army.

      Delete
  7. Welcome to the Challenge Shawn! What a wonderful trio of 'cavalry' - such great character and well painted as well. I also like the verdantly grassy bases. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the Challenge Shaun, love the little dudes in the backpacks 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never seen these models before. They have a lot of character. Nothing wrong with your painting as I am sure they would look fine in battle. I would brighten the flesh on the human riders and add a highlight to the trolls flesh. Adding enough contrast is always an issue for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work Shawn and welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are great Shawn, I've never seen anything like these before - really cool

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! Those are awesome! Welcome to the Challenge Shawn, this bodes well for the future. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to the challenge, I’m a kings of war fan myself so looking forward to more as these look great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to the Hobby and the Painting Challenge ShawnD! Don't I know you? Hope to do some painting sessions with you before Spring.

    ReplyDelete