Wednesday 10 January 2024

From TomC: Black Templars Marshal (Overdue and Returns) (25 points)

Hi again gang, already behind schedule so am very grateful to my fellow Wednesday warriors for being able to do things in a reasonable manner! It is however on theme of me for today's library location of choice, the overdue and returns section...


This particular miniature has alternately been on my desk and in my painting drawer for over two years now, indeed I had included him in a post-Challenge public pledge of miniatures to complete before this Challenge (having failed to finish it prior to AHPC XIII...). 

He is, for the record, a Games Workshop Black Templars Marshal and I originally acquired him on a nostalgia kick, having previously painted his previous (and substantially smaller) metal incarnation when I was a bright-eyed youth.


In painting him, I have been reminded of an adage I heard second-hand, about academia, which is that a good thesis is finished, a great thesis is published and a perfect thesis is neither. I am my own worst enemy and even though I can still see plenty to work on (not least the base rim, which I always seem to forget in excitement as completion draws near), it is time to move on, I have a points target to try and hit!


The actual painting, owes inspiration to a variety of sources, in particular to Maxime Corbeil's great featured army, Richard Gray's gold NMM guide, Sergey Gybin's steel NMM guide and Stahly's OSL tutorial (which I have not tried before). All issues in execution are, as always, my own!


In terms of points, my understanding is that Primaris marines fall into the 28mm weight class and so our amigo comes in at 5 points, who, being dismally behind being ready for AHPC XIII, is hopefully also worth an additional 20 points in the Overdue and Returns section.



***

Hi Tom - some fantastic brushwork on this "modern" take on a classic Warhammer 40k figure. Many GW fellow-travellers will surely recognize this fellow, even if he is updated to "Primaris" size, kitted out with a snazzy volkite weapon, he still presents the familiar chains, carries the scary axe (as one does), and refuses to wear a full helmet, because who needs a helmet when one has faith in The Emperor?

You variety of techniques has certainly payed dividends, as this fellow turned out great! The only thing more impressive is your accounting technique, as you have managed to top DaveD by posting a submission with a painting-points-to-bonus-points ratio of 1 to 4...watch out for those crocodiles!

Keep up the great brushwork - 25 points for you!

GregB

28 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning paint work, nice and clean crisp very cool indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly lovely Marshal. Helmets are of course superfluous when one has faith in The Emperor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work Tom. Such smooth blends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent brush work Tom. Your technique brings the figure to life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bruce, very pleased to have this one finished!

      Delete
  5. Wow, really nice work, particularly the NMM. Well done Tom! ps Two years in the drawer is really nothin' :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, not my worst offender, but somehow my most offensive, it felt personal!

      Delete
  6. Very nice, Tom! The Challenge doesn't really courage to paint "perfect minis", but "loads of minis." But still it is nice to see some one focus on a single mini and some other painting an army. The variety is great in this hobby and in this Challenge. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos Teemu, you're right, there are some great army painters here, it takes me about ten years!

      Delete
  7. Amazing, Tom! If it was not such a ludricous fantasy fabrication figure I would say: life-like. Absolutely fantastic painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martijn, I've come to enjoy the silliness, he looks hilariously angry!

      Delete
  8. Great painting ...! Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work on this figure with lots of retro memories for you. I believe that Greg was too quick to hand out Cahlalnge Record as Curt score a whopping 20:1 bonus point to mini points ratio on his initial post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers Peter, I do have the original but unfortunately at a secondary location, I will try and retrieve it for the wrap-up... but with my rate of painting, I need the 'accounting'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice indeed! I like your quip about the perfect thesis. I've heard a similar one about art never being finished, just abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, I'm resisting the temptation to go back for 'one more touch up'...

      Delete
  12. It's gorgeous Tom! Even if that's a bit awkward to say about a v
    Black Templar! The emperor protects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sander, hopefully the Emperor can also protect me from my own slow painting!

      Delete
  13. Nice work on this special character. He will look great on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, though goodness knows how long it will take me to paint enough colleagues for this chap to ever see the tabletop!

      Delete