Wednesday 10 January 2024

KenR : 28mm Garibaldi Guides - Overdue (80 points)

 

A nice easy extra 20 points on these Cavalry, I prepped this right at the start of my Garibaldi journey 2 years ago and they have sat in a box whilst the Infantry has been done so it was something I had to come back to.


Cavalry was a real rarity in Garibaldis army but this unit of "Guides" remained with him throughout the Risorgimento. They were a small unit, only 50 strong at Mentana and were primarily used for scouting and communication. However its an excuse to have some Cavalry to go with my Redshirts.

The unit has been painted in its early Red with black facings uniform, by Mentana it had changed to a rather dull grey outfit so I went for the more flamboyant look. The figures are Perrys ACW plastic Cavalry which at the time of purchase where the closest match I could find. It's meant painting some detail, like the lace on the chests but that's been half the joy of this project.

So points wise this unit is 6 x 28mm Horse at 10 points each plus the 20 pt Library bonus giving me 80 points.

As I'm posting this up as ready for Wednesday the previous Friday I would expect to have one or maybe 2 further posts for this week. I've started the Challenge with my painting mojo on fire so I'm driving it as fast as I can !

***

A group of light cavalry? What could that possibly be a sign of? Surely there is no sort of "Yarkshire Painting Juggernaut" looming on the Wednesday horizon...who would believe such a thing...

Great work as always Ken. "So I went for the more flamboyant look." F*ck yeah, you did! That is the point of the hobby, right?

80 points for you sir!

Greg 

26 comments:

  1. Very nice - I really struggle with cavalry, but you make it look easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, oil paints for the horses is key 🔑

      Delete
  2. Cracking Figures, so tempting to get involved in this period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely period, sadly not many people do it 👍

      Delete
  3. Excellent cavalry Ken! Those Perry plastics did the trick nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Style over substance is always the right choice when painting. Nice work..

    ReplyDelete
  5. These have come out great, nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Ken. It's been an age since I've painted a horse larger than 10mm, but I will give oils a go when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the horses and the use of what looks like ACW figures, they do look splendid in red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Perrys ACW (mentioned in the post) there are very few figure options for this period and at the time I bought these there were none for this unit. Shako 64 have brought some out since.

      Delete
  8. Nice variation on the horse tones Ken...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to see more red shirts, albeit on horse thingies. A very nice repurposing of the ACW figures, and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3 entries, you're on a roll, rolling on like a round dice - well done again!

    ReplyDelete