Sunday 14 January 2024

From PeteF: Old School Goblin Archers - Fantasy (55 points)



 


In each of the last couple of challenges I've painted a few of these little fellas - from a bag that was gifted to me when  I was thinking about branching out and painting some fantasy figures for Saga and/or Kings of War.


I believe these gobbos are from an old GW starter set - presumably some previous edition of the soon to be revived Warhammer Fantasy Battles.  The sculpts might be considered Old Skool by modern standards - although anything that's later than 1980s Minifigs is Avant-Garde in my book. 


I have no idea what I'll eventually use these for - which is why it has taken 3 Challenges to paint a total of 17.  I think there are some more lurking in Plastic Mountain somewhere, although I wasn't able to track them down and finish them for this section of the Library.  I might magnetize them so I can take them on and off metal multibases for a Kings of War goblin army - I quite like the idea of using goblins from all different manufacturers.  The main problem will be finding the motivation to paint hundreds of them.  Saga seems more likely and they would fit for at least a couple of the Saga Age of Magic factions.


This is only my second submission for Challenge 14 - I'm going to try and make it around most of the library areas before Spring but got off to a slow start due to no preparation (unless you count preparation for Challenge 13) and some priming issues.


I like these simple sculpts - GW get a lot of character into their minis.
 

Summary

7 x 28mm minis = 35 points
Fantasy Section Bonus = 20 points

Total = 55 points


2nd section of the library - slow progress

I still get a bit of PTSD from these particular goblins. I love the design, and how simple they are, but after painting a few hundred of them, I think I got a bit insane from it. Lovely work here, though I do wonder how you will base them in the future? Normally they need to be based to get full points, but being that they will go to Kings of War, I suspect then bigger group basing to be done? Would be great to see that when they are done as well!

55 pts for you ( but do hope to see the finished based photos in a future post ). 
Kyle

9 comments:

  1. The sculpts seem new to me, but I guess it says something of my age... I like the colours and neat paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work- but it makes me sad they're not based!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely figures and painting, but for true Old Skool they really need goblin green bases 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to see these old school figures they never lose their charm, love the green, all round great job on these

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! Unfortunately you've reminded me I have a metric ton of my own to paint :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its always good to see some Goblins on show

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, these are excellent. Nostalgia is now kicking in...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old gibbons always a welcome sight. Well done Pete.

    ReplyDelete