Sunday 30 December 2018

From EvanH: The Jarl of Yule and A Nice Troll (16 points)

Well, better late than never, I suppose...

Yep, Ev finally shifts into high gear and takes his first shambling steps on to the points table with two (count them, Ladies and Gentlemen, TWO!) 28mm figures.

The first, as is my wont, is a seasonal offering, viz; Wargames Foundry's Grunnar the Giant, aka Nordic Santa.




I got this fig ages ago as a freebie with another order from this excellent company, and I'm glad to have finally painted him up. He looks suitably grumpy, as befits a man who has to deliver all the world's presents in one night. He really should look at joining a union, those conditions are diabolical!



The shield slung over his back was originally going to be a simple red-and-white quartered design, but I decided to try something a little more Christmas-y, and added a design in green. I can tell you now, I am rubbish at painting holly leaves on a shield. On the bright side, I'm actually not too bad at rescuing the original crap design and turning it into a pine tree motif.

Next up is a Reaper Bones fig, A Nice Troll an Ice Troll. he stands 54mm tall in his stocking feet, or would if he wore stockings (he's hard on shoes, that one).




I like Reaper's big figs, and the Bones range is an excellent way to get big impressive monsters onto the table for a decent price. The detail can be a little soft at times, but at this price, I'm not complaining.


The horny armour across his back makes drybrushing the textures a breeze. This guy took about three hours, on and off.




The musculature is a bit Liefeld-esque, but on a fantasy monster, that's not such a problem.

And here are the two chaps together for reference purposes. Snow for both figures was the trusty PVA-Bicarb mix I've been using for years now. Still the best home-made snow effect for my money!


"Put it down, or you're getting a lump of coal."

So yes, I'm still here, and I hope to be able to paint a few more figs while taking up the mantle of Wednesday's minion (which is a daunting prospect, given I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time...).

Will Ev be able to multitask? Stay tuned...

Ev


_____________________________

Ta-Da! Ev strides onto the stage.  We can all exhale a collective breath knowing that our  Wednesday's entertainment is in the bag for the next few months. (Miles, if you thought Ray was a hard on your precious spreadsheet, just wait. I think you have a real treat in the making here.)


Brilliant work Ev. The Jarl of Coal looks understandably irascible, somewhat reindeer-lagged, but stolid, having done his duty for another year. I think the shield motif is excellent and very festive (some eggnog rings around it's perimeter would not have gone amiss though). The ice troll is wonderful as well and reminds me of the masterful Snow Lord you did for me last year.

Except for the ridiculous crown it's pretty much a spot-on rendering.
That ice troll looks to be about 54mm so let's go with 16 points which included a pip for the 


15 comments:

  1. Great figures and painting Ev :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely pair of figures, the shield is fab but I love the texture on the ice troll!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific work Evan, absolutely terrific. Great work on the shield, and that troll is well done too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice wintery pair. I love the fir tree shield design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greatfigures Ev, welcome back. I am driving the daughter back to Uni this aft, with twins hills at the minus 40 mark, here’s hoping I don’t meet either of these lads along the way.

    Love the grumpy Santa, looks like he’s dealing with hav8ng too muc( peppermint Schnapps in his cocoa last night, great work on the shield. Always good to see freehand shields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and thematic models. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Evan. I love armed Santa Claus figures...not sure what that says about my holiday spirit...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great! Especially that Viking-Santa has got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely brushwork Ev, especially that saturated blue! I'm pretty sure I've seen you make that same face Santa is wearing sitting across the table from me. Dux too for that matter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great colours, and that Christmas tree shield design is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Santa figure is great, I like the shield. The Bones troll looks fantastic. You've done a great job of picking out all the details on the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks just great Evan especially like the look of the grumpy Santa.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete