Sunday 30 December 2018

From PaulSS: Agincourt French Men at Arms (36 Points)


I had big plans to get six more French Men at Arms done before the challenge started, but alas that was not to be so although six were completed this week three of them were painted under the auspices of the challenge.


These are all from the Perry Miniatures Agincourt to Orleans range and I really hope over the next three months to make a big impact on this project. I managed to paint 72 English foot between Agincourt day and the 25th November and although unlikely to keep up that pace hope to have two good sized gaming forces done by the end of the challenge.


The are based on a standard Renedra 20mm x 45mm and then mounted in custom movement trays that I ordered from Warbases that fit three of these bases into a 80mm x 60mm, I had similar bases made to hold six infantry on Renedra 20mm rounds and you'll hopefully see some of those over the coming days and weeks.

Here are some close-ups of the individuals:


This chap is in a transitional armour on a light bay horse, blue and white livery with three small crosses.


This chap is in 'white armour' on a chestnut horse. I think I made a bit of a mess of his lance, the spacing on the banding is completely wrong.


The last chap is in the older style of armour on a black horse. The red and green livery has three small white fleu-de-lys on the red.

Here are the six figures completed this week, three of them were base-coated before the 21st, so I can only count these three towards my challenge total.



_________________________________

Oooh, these are beautiful, Paul. 

It seems throughout history heavy cavalry were very hit and miss, but one can't deny the majesty and level of intimidation they must have commanded on the field of battle (and on our own tabletops for that matter).  With that in mind these certainly certainly fit the bill. I'm very impressed with the hand painted livery and heraldry - impressive brushwork that. I also like the horses, especially that lovely light bay with the dark socks. The basework is excellent as well, with the clever sabot basing to allow them to be used individually. 

A great project, Paul, and one I look forward to seeing develop over the coming months.

As to points, I'm going to add a couple more per model for the hand painted work heraldry and ornamentation. Well done!


28 comments:

  1. These are lovely. They're on my to-do list, too, and I reckon I might copy some of your colour schemes, if that's okay. No doubt you're keen to get your hands on the plastics which the Perrys are about to release. Even more heraldry needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm looking forwards to ordering some of the plastic men at arms next week.

      Delete
  2. Those knights look terrific Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Just wow, Paul. Amazing stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! Such a colourful period and you have made a great job of bringing that to life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great looking knights there Paul. I like the individual heraldry and colours you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those really are some lovely looking knights Paul!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, I particularly like the rich burgundy colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I liked it so much that I painted a unit of infantry in it. Posting soon....

      Delete