Sunday 30 December 2018

From StefanK: Vospers and eels (72 points)

Ahoi Jack Tars and Landlubbers,

Finally my first entry for this year's Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge:

Vospers and eels

Shortly before Christmas Warlord released their new WWII naval skirmish game Cruel Seas. Frankly for a long time their wasn't a release that I was so much looking forward to. Anyway my pre-order didn't arrive in time and more than two weeks of desperate waiting overshadowed my December. Anyway shortly before Christmas the starter set arrived and I couldn't resist painting enough boats for the first couple of scenarios. So here we go with the Vospers first.


Actually the basic games comes with six Vospers but until now I've painted only four of them. They are all in 1/300 (6mm) scale but very detailed. Due to the thick plastic they appear a bit bulky but nevertheless really nice models.


As usual I used Vallejo Model Colors to paint the ships. Mostly different shades of grey for obvious reasons. Afterwards I used a combination of washes from Citadel and AK to apply some weathering and give the boats slightly different shadings.


On one of the boats I mounted a couple of crew. They are 1/300 metal figures which Warlord delivers with the British resin boats from the fleet box. They fit on the plastic boats very nicely too and are a simple conversion. Only the paint to the small gap in the breastwork of the bridge. I'd use some green stuff to conceal that on the next batch of boats.

The flags are from the starter box as well. Really nice pieces though too small to call it a pleasure to assemble them. To conceal the white line of paper I painted the outlines to have Saint George's cross run around the whole flag.

Since Cruel Seas is all about torpedo boats it makes some sense to have a couple of torpedoes ready. With the starter set and the Royal Navy fleet box came two sprues with 16 torpedo markers each. Thus I took some time to paint them all in one process of piecework.


That's for now. Shortly there'll appear some German E-boats as well as an armed trawler for the Brits. My entry for the water bonus round is ready as well but let's keep this under the water surface for now.  ;-)

Cheers
Stefan



Ahoy Stefan and welcome back!

Some absolutely smashing nautical modelling you have here my friend. It's becoming harder and harder for me to resist Cruel Seas and it's just this kind of entry that is causing me grief.

I am really impressed with your paintwork and weathering efforts on these. They have a really grimy and weather beaten look to them and you've brought the details out superbly. Painting the torpedoes must have been a bit tiresome but it't attention to detail and keeping the small stuff up to the same level of quality that really makes a table sing to my mind.

4 x 1/300 vehicles
4 x flags
32 x torpedoes
plus flags

I've paid a point each for the torpedoes so that makes a total of 72 points for these including flags and crew, though I am happy for Curt to revise that (which has duly happened thanks Paul). Well done mate!

Cheers,
Millsy

22 comments:

  1. Ausgezeichnet Stefan! They look fantastic! Great stuff mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Paul. Your professional feedback is much appreciated. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Dave. Yours are truely nice as well.

      Delete
  3. Blooming marvellous stuff, Stefan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent workStefan, really nice details.

    FYI, your FB videos of your daughter playing hockey have brought a lot of smiles my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter.
      And concerning Viktoria and hockey... She is so much taken up in hockey it's simply a pleasure to see her on the ice. It appears to be her passion and from time to time I'm happy to share some bits and pieces. I'm glad to hear that you like it. :-)

      Delete
  5. Hello fellow painters,

    many thanks for your kind replys and many thanks to Millsy for bringing my post online. Concerning the points I'm happy with 72. Anyway it's no harm when Curt has an eye on the calculation. I don't know how he counts the Cruel Seas stuff either and In don't want to receive inappropriatly many points.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Stefan! These are absolutely lovely. I really like the subtle weathering and the additions of the crew is a brilliant touch. I was just about to photograph mine but now I need to scare up some appropriate figures in light of your and Dave's recent work. I look forward to seeing your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Curt. The next entry is (nearly) ready but I didn't want to fire my whole powder with one shot. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Nicely done, the challenge is producing some mighty fine Cruel Seas stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. More awesome looking boats. There seems to be a lot of people who have started Cruel Seas. I like the weathering effects you've used, those are some hard working patrol boats by the looks of things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking MTBs! Fantastic attention to detail!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blimey Stefan! They look rather striking. More of the same please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those little splashes of colour are great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your kind feedback. Indeed Cruel Seas seems to the game that's thrilling me most these days. There's more to come without any doubt until the challenge comes to its end.

    ReplyDelete