Sunday 30 December 2018

From DaveS: Henry VII Retinue Archers (60 Points)


So, I've decided that painting all of my Swordpoint army in red and black would be boring to do and to look at.  Since I have the rather splendid Perry's Lancastrian command pack, I looked to see who else was in there and settled on good old Henry.  Therefore, we went with a test block of 12 models, to see if I liked, and could paint, a scheme that included white on a large number of models.



The models were again painted in a quick, rough and ready style.  The green was simply Warboss Green washed in Biel-Tan Green, while the white took a bit more thought.  I went with VMC "Off White" over a white undercoat, then washed with Agrax Earthshade, before a final drybrush of Wrack White.  It's not perfect, but I figured that the slightly warm and dirty appearance would work for troops on campaign.

So that should be another 60 points to the total (12x28mm infantry).

________________________________


These look smashing Dave. Their bright green and white livery is very eye catching and will be a nice counterpoint to your red and black figures. I've not heard much about 'Swordpoint' so I'm going to have to head over to Gripping Beast to check it out. 

Good work and I look forward to seeing the next unit for this force.



15 comments:

  1. One thing I noticed, is that I agonized about the white, it took longer than any other part of the model, and then I take 3 photos where because of the poses, it is barely visible!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking green archers! Only joking,wh wh you can see of the white works well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great archers, Dave. They really do look the business!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Of course, I've now realized that I have Henry VI not Henry VII in miniature form, and so, in fact, they should be blue and white. Cue trip to FLGS to buy the right commander.
    Note to self, the correct order is research THEN paint, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the green. I always have problems painting white. Yours looks like a decent approach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice indeed. That green really works with the white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the green and I like the white. I like the green and white combination. Clean and bright white on colors never work for my eye, unless it is an ironed napkin in a suit pocket... :) Bright white (with green) would work with pointy eared Eldar, but for the troops of Henry VI(I), a bit dirty looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I thought the models were all in green. :)
    The slightly off-white is a good match for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. White is a challenge, and I love the lurid green!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME! Painting Perry Wars of the Roses plastics at the moment and they are very detailed so it's been a hard road to get back into painting. I am of course continuing my Red and Black army :). Yours look excellent. Well done. Cheers

    ReplyDelete