Tuesday 5 March 2019

From IannickM - Oldhammer Skeleton Regiment (83 points)

Oh, you miserable bags of bones! Pick yourselves up and sally forth!

And we start March with a regiment of classic skeletons.


So this regiment was built using mostly plastic figures from the great Skeleton Horde boxset of the last 80s. They are, still today, my favourite plastic skeletons, possibly my favourite rank and file skeletons period. I got lucky enough to score one on Ebay for a very reasonable price.



It's a fantastic set that allows lots of customization, and I really like the choices of weapons offered. I'm also a big fan of the realistic proportions of the weapons. Something GW did not carry over for their later 6th edition plastic skeletons (which are still great but). There could be a bit more details on the heads, and maybe another head variation or two, but those are minor details. I enjoyed every minute of assembling these guys, and went back in time for an afternoon, as I hadn't assembled these guys since the very early 90s.



The command is a set of metal figures from the 80s range, classic figures which haven't aged one bit in over 30 years. The hero I used is actually a mundane armoured skeleton, but I'm still waiting for a undead hero from the UK post so had to improvise! In the end I'm super happy, and the figure works very well with the unit.



It's a Challenge of first for me; first time I paint ghosts, first time I paint skeletons since the 80s! I did a few tests and I'm happy with my bone recipe, although I might try to dirty it up just a little next time. I've always preferred ivory/beige skeletons to white ones, just a matter of taste. It was also my first time trying to go with a very rusted look for the weapons as well as the hero armour. I'll certainly refine a bit my technique with experience, but once again I'm mostly satisfied. Lots of new techniques to try, painting undead is fun!


My first try at really rusty weapons

I went with a very classic dark red and grey for the colour scheme, one that I intend to repeat throughout the army. I thought about going with a more vibrant heraldry, to represent the forces of their previous master, but I really wanted to go "classic 80s skeletons". 



Right, sooo...

16 28mm Skeletons : 80pts




Oh my, I love these, probably influenced by the fact I had some of these back in the day. Totally agree these were probably some of the best plastic skeletons in terms of how they look and their versatility of poses etc. I got through several boxes of these when I built myself a (sadly long gone) Undead army back in the early 90's. I say long gone but a handful of figures remain, including the same standard bearer you have here! 

I'm awarding an extra point for the Standard and another couple of totally unofficial 'nostalgia' points! 
Lee

15 comments:

  1. "Back in time for an afternoon" - oh man, that must have been a ton of fun. The results are tremendous! Great work Iannick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking unit, good to see you've just done the bare bones 😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely nostalgic undead unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on these old bones. Any more skeletons in your closet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the kind comments

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab stuff, I remember 1988 when they were three quid a box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Iannick those are very good indeed!

    ReplyDelete