Sunday 26 January 2020

From JamesM: 10mm Pegasus Knights, For Joshua! (Cooke's Crevase) (64 Points)

Hi folks,

Following my earlier dabble with Sci Fi drones, I've ballooned it over to the fluff filled crack that is Cookes Crevase.

If that doesn't put you off your Sunday dinner, nothing will.


My previous airborne insertion being a failure, I decided to go with gliders this time round. In the form of some winged horses (Pegasususeses, which I think is the plural). The (tenuous) connection to geology being that these creatures are mountain dwellers, who use with mighty wingspan to gloat over mountain goats and reach inaccessible pastures. As with most mountain dwelling fantasy flying creatures, you do not want one of these to poo on you while out for a hike.

I would also point out that the rocks on the base are real, hence a slightly less tenuous geology connection. Martin can spend hours figuring out which types they are next time we play.



These models are 10mm scale figures from Polar Fox Studios. In my imagination force of good as part of my ongoing charity project, these units form the dedicated bodyguard of King Joshua. Able to keep up with the boss on his Hippogriff, these are elite troops equipped with the very best equipment, including rings of featherfall...





I've stuck to the same red, green and blue paint scheme for these troops, while the wings of the Pegasus are faded from grey to light tan. I used the flying stands provided (which are for Warmaster style basing) but adapted to mount on the 50mm by 100mm bases. I had planned to have 6 on a base, but wingspan meant this was a bit of a squeeze, so I have three.

These figures took me a while to paint, mainly as I had no idea what to do with them. A common issue I have with fantasy figures. Give me a uniform to paint (with appropriate colour guides) any day...

In total then, there are 12 mounted 10mm figures for a total of 24 points. Plus 30 points for the Challenge Island location giving me a total of 54 points.


____________________________

Lovely Pegasi James (see, you learn something new every day)! 

I really like the dusky grey-blue-to-tan of heir wings set against the blue, green and red of the riders' livery. In addition, the basing looks terrific, with them all massed together, swooping in for the kill. 

I'm going to give a few extra points as these are bit more involved than straight-up cavalry. A great entry for Cooke's Crevasse, well done!

-Curt

14 comments:

  1. Nice pegasi cavalry James ! :)

    "Is it a bird? Is it a plane? *sniff* nah, it's horse - effing pegasus!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Is it bird droppings? is it bat guano? No it's a pile of HORSE-sh*t!!!!"

      Delete
  2. These are brilliant mate. Pedantically there was only one Pegasus so it can have no plural, but winged horses just sounds lke they are injured

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work James, what ever you called these winged steeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work in particular the bases!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. A marvelous unit of flying knights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking pegasi! Lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little gaming pieces, love how they pop up in contrast to the basing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers guys - noticed I'd named the manafacturer incorrectly. These are from Polar Fox Studios.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, lovely job! Must be terrifying to see these swooping towards you....

    ReplyDelete