Sunday 26 January 2020

From Curt: Trish Scarborough 'The Spy' for Sarah's Balloon (5 Points)



Well, after a short hiatus I'm back to featuring the femme fatales from 'Mansions of Madness'. Sorry folks, but this game is chock full of great pulpy gals so you're just going to have to grin and bear it. 

Okay, so today we have Trish Scarborough, 'The Spy'.

At first glance, Trish Scarborough is simply a middling employee for a nondescript company. Nonetheless, in reality she is a spy for the shadowy organisation, 'The Black Chamber', travelling the world, thwarting occult plots and generally being a heroic badass.

In the game, Trish is a great all-rounder. She has a solid stat line (as long as she keeps away from magic), but her real strong suit is investigating for clues and getting into and out of scrapes.

I had a bit of gaff when working on Trish. I first painted her from memory (ALWAYS a bad idea for me), thinking that her trenchcoat was a classic camel colour. Well, I pulled out the character card to do the pictures and discovered that, no, she actually wears a dark indigo coloured trench. 

F*ck. 

So, it was back to the desk for a quick costume adjustment. Now she is sartorially conforming to MoM canon. A huge sigh of relief from all you viewers, I'm sure.



It's a nicely posed mini, and I kept it fairly simple for the paintjob - dark indigo raincoat (ahem), black turtleneck and brown slacks. The only embellishment I gave her is a nice pearl-handled revolver (really, it compliments her hair).


Trish will serve as my fare for my next journey: to Burch's Bluff!


-Curt


***
More fine brushwork my friend.  I'm really enjoying all of these "Mansions of Madness" characters, and I've no doubt the other Challenge participants are as well. It's such a fun game and a great setting. Playing the game causes one to suspect just about every nondescript company we encounter in our daily lives. I think that's positive, right? That insurance broker up the road is probably just...selling insurance...I mean, what are the chances that it is a front for some manner of global shadow organization...?


What a relief that you got Trish's coat done properly. But have no fear, in the event that the stress of the sartorial situation has been too much, there is a trained medical professional ready to assist with "non-traditional stress relief" when you arrive at the scenic vistas of Burch's Bluffs.


Great work Curt - this entry was fun, and I am certainly excited to see your next one! Now, I think I'm going to go and take one more look at that local insurance broker...


GregB

21 comments:

  1. Lovely work Curt! No need to apologise for posting lots of these pulpy gals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Glad you like them as there will be more on the way!

      Delete
  2. She clearly is someone to be reckoned with. Very fine painting albeit I found the yellow trenchcoat rather nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Nick. Yes, I was loath to paint over it as it thought it turned out okay on the first pass.

      Delete
  3. Really like these character pieces with the nice background Curt.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you're enjoying them Christopher. More of these coming down the ramp!

      Delete
  4. Always a pleasure to see these characters all painted up. As for the coat, what type of spy would she be without at least one quick change of clothes for emergencies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps a reversible trench coat?
      Stylish, functional and very cost effective.
      🎈

      Delete
  5. Great looking pulpy character! I was disappointed when the camel coat went, although probably not as much as you! Of course you could have just got another figure to paint,so you had both,that would be the way to go wouldn't it or is that just me?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you're probably right, but I'm too much the hobby shark and have to move on to other things to nibble on.

      Delete
  6. Another excellent mini, Curt. Glad to hear you got the colour right, in the end - but is it exactly the right shade? I mean, exactly??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cripes, you right. Now I need to do it over again! ;P

      Delete
  7. Uhm, while the dark trenchcoat may well be canon, I like the camel one better, but well painted she is either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I like the camel coat better as well. Following canon makes me sad.

      Delete
  8. Lovely job, I am impressed you went back to change the colour of the coat after all that work painting it in the first place, I'd have just moved and bluffed it out as a "wardrobe malfunction"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you know I probably should have, but since I was featuring the card as part of the submission I felt I needed to keep consistent.

      Delete
  9. I never know how closely to follow the art... It could be a trendy reversible spy trenchcoat.

    ReplyDelete