Sunday 1 March 2020

Iain W 28mm Up up and away on Lady Sarah's balloon! Irish Queen and entourage 280 points

Here we have a dark age Irish queen, let's call her Maeve? Together with 9 companions they form a  unit for Dux Bellorum.
In addition we have two more units( 20 figures) based on the illustration of a Dal Riata warrior  in Osprey's  Arthur and the Anglo Saxon wars, probably my favourite Osprey . The colour for the queens clothing came from the same illustration.
Next up 10 naked Celtic warriors, not sure if they really existed in Irish or Pictish armies at this date but,hey they were cheap and nice sculpts and that's generally how I create my army lists!
10 more Irish warriors from a variety of manufactures, ebay and black tree design, which is where the Dal Riata,the additional command and the naked Celts came from too.








A load of these started off as Picts which I have press ganged into the Irish force, the Pict force is  following along  somewhere behind in the painting que. I  need some skirmishers and some light horse to finish off the Irish but I fear that will be after the end of the challenge.
The queen is from footsore figures and came free with an order of Romano Brits which are way down the painting que.
So 30 points for Lady Sarah's balloon.
50 x 28mm foot figures  is 250 points.
The shields were fun to paint in various Celtic patterns after the rigid pagan English, any points would be gratefully received!
Either way I've hit my target, it's still (just!) February and everything else is a bonus, lots to finish, off to Cook's crevice and a new period and  new army. I just hope I don't overload the balloon!

All the best Iain

MilesR: That's a very impressive Celtic army there.  I couldn't figure out how to pixelate certain aspects of the "Warrios Au Natural" so let us hope the more prudish amongst us don't call down the censors upon us.  Yes. Curt, I'm speaking to you, Sir!  280 well deserved points for you.

10 comments:

  1. lovely stuff Iain - an army in one post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! I hope to have one more before the end of the challenge!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Well done Iain! Knowing the weather in Scotland I'd think those nudies are either very brave or very foolhardy... or both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! I know what you mean, plus if it's not cold you get midges attacking every unprotected part of you, ouch!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Brilliant work Iain! The basing really ties them together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great. Congrats on completing this force in one go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Peter! There's still a few more units to go but at least it's the bulk of the force, which is nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. 🎈 Lovely Irish Queen and entourage! And welcome to the Balloon Service, your first flight will be a memorable one .... an open bar and Ouiji Board as the in-flight entertainment🎈

    ReplyDelete