Saturday 2 January 2021

From: EdwardG - 15mm DBA Medieval Russians (+Germans) and Pit of the Pendulum Entry (74 points)

 Happy New Year all! 

Thank you for the kind comments, hope everyone has had a great new years celebration. 

I have sadly not had as much painting time over the past couple of days. But I have managed to get some more figures done. 

I have now filled out the final elements for my 15mm DBA Medieval Russian Army. I managed to get it done within my own 2020 deadline (just!)

Firstly the 3 elements of Russian spearmen. There are two types of spearmen listed in the DBA army list. The Polk and the Smerdy. The Polk are described as town militia, and I have added a flag to each of their elements to distinguish them. I looked up the miniatures I used for the spearmen and I found that they were Mirliton miniatures from Italy. The Russian mounted I posted earlier are from the same manufacturer. The flags are from LBMS, I found my sheet of transfers while looking for some other miniatures. I had forgotten how fiddly the LBMS flag transfers are. I am not sure I will be doing too many more!




Next up are the German mercenary Knights. These are an option within the army list. The figures are from Legio Heroica. I really like this manufacturer and I have many more of their figures in my collection. After the experience with the LBMS flags, I decided to have a go at hand painting the heraldry. I must admit, I have not based these on any exact family, and I think I have also managed to mash the heraldic forms somewhat, but I am quite happy with the outcome, especially my eagle (although it certainly skips leg day at the gym and only works on the guns!) 




  Finally for this post, I have my entry for the Pit of the Pendulum entry. I have to admit, I have been scratching my head as to what I had in the lead pile that could fit this entry, and then I found some miniatures at the bottom of a Tupperware box. They are Camillan Roman anti-Elephant Incendiary Pigs! These are miniatures that my, now wife, purchased for me for a birthday several years ago. This was before we got married, and I think it was one of the many reasons that I realised she was the one for me. I have to admit, I am not sure of the origin of the pigs, but I thought they are perfect for this Chamber. As with a lot things, the actual historical accuracy of these miniatures can and is endlessly debated. But the DBM/DBMM lists for the Camillan Romans allows up to 3 elements to be fielded and if it good enough for Phil and Richard it is good enough for me, so here they are :)

The Chamber asks for something that is torturous or terrifying. These little piggies are both! They are being tortured themselves, and are terrifying to the elephants of the opponents (not to mention thinking about the person who thought of using flaming pigs against elephants in the first place?!)!




 Will must admit, that I had painted one of the pigs a few years ago, so I can only claim 7 of the piggies and the two handler miniatured (Legio Heroica javelinmen). As the pigs are about 15mm from snout to tail, I would say that they count as 15mm foot figures. 

So my total tally for this entry is:

12 x Russian Spearmen (15mm) = 24 points
3 x Mercenary German Knights (15mm) = 12 points
7 x Pigs + 2x Handlers (15mm) = 18 points
Chamber of Challenge bonus = 20 points

Total = 74 points

Hope everyone has a smooth start to 2021, and that real life doesn't arrive with too much of a crash for us all on Monday! 

Take care
Ed :)

12 comments:

  1. Great post Edward. Love the medieval Russians, those shields are really well done. And the dreaded incendiary pigs, a flash back to WRG ancients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a rich and colourful group- the flags are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Edward (love those banners). The pigs are an excellent pick for the theme. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Russians and Germans and the flaming pigs are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Edward. I really love the Medieval Russians and Germans, especially the heraldry freehand!! Really great work on the piggies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone needs some flaming pigs ! Great entry
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work, for some reason I'm craving some bacon right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super stuff, especially the hand painted shields!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flaming pigs! What a great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a flaming hot entry. Self-cooking pork, that might be a thing. Very well done, the heraldry is great!

    ReplyDelete