Saturday 2 January 2021

From MikeF - Bretonnian Lord on Hippogryph - Hatchery - 30 to 35 points

 The first chamber to complete in the second level is the Hatchery. This requires the model to have an avian theme, so I painted a Bretonnian Lord on a Hippogryph. The selection alone should give you some idea of how long this model has sat idle, since it's been several years since Bretonnia has even been a thing! Age of Sigmar has created rules for them, though its far from being a competitive list.

This model does not have the original rider. I "converted" it a long time ago in order to place a different Bretonnian lord on it. This was mostly successful despite having far less skill than I have today or the appropriate tools. I'm pretty sure I used just a file and hobby knife. This is all the more impressive when one considers that the model is metal and the riders legs are fully molded to the body of the horsy-bird thing. Unfortunately the rider I chose to replace the original just won't sit up straight on the horsy-bird. The riders legs also weren't wide enough which resulted in the rider sitting too high off the horsey-bird's back. This meant that there were too few contact points to glue the rider to the mount without turning to green stuff. That caused further problems because I knew I needed to paint the rider and mount separately. My solution was to sink a small magnet into the back of the mount and then ram a metal screw right up between the riders lags (oh, the horror!). This created a strong enough bond that the rider would remain on the mount even if held upside down. Naturally, after all this work Warhammer Fantasy was blown up and Bretonnia was kicked to the dustbin. I threw the remaining models in a cardboard box and moved on to other things. Thankfully, this challenge inspired me to finish it because it was a fun model to paint and I think it turned out better than it would have if I had painted it all those years ago.



The cape on the back helps disguise the fact that only his knees and feet touch the mount.

For scoring purposes this is a 28mm mounted model so normally 10 points. However, its slightly more substantial than a normal horse mount and I appeal to the minions for final ruling on point value. And of course 20 points for completing a chamber.

12 comments:

  1. That turned out very well Mike, the rider seems to fit nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent stuff Mike - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Horsey-Bird Mike! Hang onto your Bretonnia stuff as the Old Worlde is coming back - Hooray!! :)

    I've given you another smattering of point for the size of the model and the painful (especially for the rider) conversion. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful looking flying knight - have you checked out Kings of War? A lot of WHFB refugees ended up there - lots of factions and Bretonians work for a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work Mike! Very nice colour choices and brushwork. And I second scooba’s comment about looking at KOW. It is a solid game that has many of the best parts of WFB while removing many of the bad parts it had, overall a much better game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous work on this knight and his loyal mount. It makes me nostalgic for the Old World.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking work sir. Makes me want to get my Empire 'griff on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking hippogryph! He looks ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. I particularly like the wing patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful figure, great paintjob and conversion! I hear the Bretonnians may be resurrected, so not all hope is lost.

    ReplyDelete