Saturday 2 January 2021

From Paul O'G: Taurox the Brass Bull (10 points)

One of my AHPC XI goals is to add Minotaurs to my Beastman army, starting with this character. His backstory is that he has some behavioural issues which incline him to the "spill blood and harvest skulls" end of the naughty spectrum.  As a result he has been blessed by Chaos with a brass hide to protect him while he indulges in said behaviour.*  He also goes by the nom de guerres of Slaughterhorn and Bloodbeast, which is probably why he doesn't get invited to many parties.

There is no official fig for this character so I used an old school metal GW Minotaur which I think is rather cool and is a whopping 60mm tall (not including his raised axe).  I worked the brass up through 3 different layers and washes, and then detailed his equipment to break it up, deliberately avoiding contrasts other than red - which I used in a few spots to bring it all together. Pretty happy with how it all came together in the end.

While he waits for some buddies to join him, I'll claim 10 points for my tally. He sports 2 skullz, and as I also think he is rather terrifying so I shall also claim him for the Pit of the Pendulum!

* If you want the long version of his backstory you can find it here:

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Taurox

26 comments:

  1. I dunno, maybe if someone rubbed (polished) his tummy and offered him skull shaped marshmallows he'd be less angry all the time. :)

    At 60mm and sporting a name like 'Slaughterhorn' I'm going to add a few more points to your total Paul. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, he would indeed need a good washdown and polish after a hard day's work at the slaughteryards!

      Delete
  2. Nice, I have never painted a Minotaur.....I might need to pick some up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking minotaur! I remember collecting 7 minotaurs for my Khorne 40k army ,by the time I got to painting them they weren't in the army lists (which they were now calling codexs!) Great finish and really impressive, apart from the skulls quota obviously!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - yes, malleable army books can be frustrating

      Delete
  4. You'd be angry all the time too if you were made of metal - just think how hot he gets sitting in the sun. Fantastic mini. I'd love to see a pic of the entire army at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do that! A few things to finish during the challenge first though :-)

      Delete
  5. Great work on this beast. Love the bronze hide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. some pretty good nostalgia here, great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander - next will be some old style models to keep him company

      Delete
  7. Awesome work, Paul! I'm sure I must have been to a few parties in the past with people called Slaughterhorn and Bloodbeast... but admittedly, they weren't mixing the cocktails (thank goodness!!). I love the painting - they'll be really impressive on any table, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney! Never get into a vehicle driven by someone called Slaughterhorn or Bloodbeast either I'm tipping!

      Delete
  8. Thats one scary thing 😳
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken - I hope my opponents will think so too :-)

      Delete
  9. Awesome looking minotaur. The metallic skin is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart - took a bit of contemplation and a few layers to build it up

      Delete
  10. Yikes! Wonderful blood effect mate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is very impressive, the blood on his teeth and weapons is very good and he came out very well. Spent quite some time just looking at the photos, well done!

    ReplyDelete