Saturday 2 January 2021

From JohnS - Viva Espana! 100 pts

 For my first entry of AHPC11 I present my Spanish Line Infantry of 1809. This is the beginning of my Talavera project, I am hoping to build the 2nd Spanish Division. These chaps are the first of the Velez-Malaga Line Infantry Regt (2nd Battalion).


Just because I don't have enough issues getting miniatures painted (!!) I decided to try the new Warlord Resin miniatures and use GW Contrast paints. The minis were "challenging" to work with, I am not in love with the resin used. I found removing flash to be really difficult (took me back nearly 50 years to working with Airfix miniatures in soft plastic) and the crispness of the castings was inconsistent. Still, if you don't try new things...

Column attack!

On the other hand, the Contrast Paints were really excellent for some things. The black I found to be be particularly useful as these miniatures represent a unit wearing their old uniform that is coming to the end of its usefulness. I wanted the bicormes to look shabby and worn and the Black Templar over a Grey Seer undercoat was just the ticket.

They're over that way

Overall, an interesting and challenging project. I will be filling out the rest of the battalions using a variety of other metal miniatures including Offensive and Perrys. The Wargames Atlantic plastics may get a run too if they are released soon.

Unkind people will say that this is the most common view of Spanish troops!

That is 100 points to get me on the board. More on this Division to come.


13 comments:

  1. A century to open the batting - nice work old bean!
    Those contrast paints have really delivered, must try the Templar Black myself as I hear its excellent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on this battalion. I was a bit dubious when I heard Warlord were switching to resin for their infantry. Glad I kept away now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! They might have been rubbish in a fight for the most part but damn they were pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, welcome back to the Challenge John! It's great to have you back with us.

    Even though they gave you a bit of trouble, these Spaniards look the business, well done! (I've added an extra point for their brave banner). I look forward to seeing more of these in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to hear your experience of the Warlord resin. I think it's the same as some of their Black Seas ships, and I've found that paints really well, both with normal acrylics and Contrast (though generally used as a wash). Anyway, I'll be keen to see more of your Talavera project, as these look pretty nifty and I've some on my paint table, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see some Napoleonic Spaniards and Talavera is a great project. The flash levels of Airfix plastics? Count me out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work John, I shall look forward to see more from this project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking Spanish! I have to say I was a bit put off when they said they were in resin and your post seems to confirm it,still you've done smashing work on them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great start to the Challenge John 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking Spanish troops. looking forward to more of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very smart looking regiment, well done! No doubt you will see most of their backs as they storm bravely forward while you lead from behind!

    ReplyDelete