Sunday 3 January 2021

From Mark Backhouse - In the larder. Roman farm and legion.

 For the larder task I wanted something that would be useful in my games rather than something whimsical. I’ve been playtesting a set of small scale Ancients rules I’ve written called Strength and Honour which focus on big battles with tens of thousands of men per side. I’ve scratch built all of the units for it out of greenstuff, and yep, it’s in 2mm! So you can see here a Republican Roman legion representing about four and a half thousand men and some well organised revolting slaves facing them from the 1st Servile War in Sicily. The target of the slaves is of course a farm or latifundia. Hoping to free more slaves and more importantly fill their hungry bellies with olives, wheat or loot whatever riches they can find from the corpulent land owner!







The farm is made using a few pieces from Brigade Models small scale scenics range which are an absolute joy to paint. In happier times the latifundia might be an idyllic resting place for a retired equite or patrician.

So that’s about 6,000 2mm figures and a small farm. I think I’ll settles for 20 points for that lot rather than messing about with counting individuals! The food theme is tucked off too for a bonus 20 points.

Cheers

Mark Backhouse



12 comments:

  1. Yowza that is impressive. You sculpt 2mm figures and then paint them? You are certifiable but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Mark and very small!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning!! Love this entry Mark. I've been waiting for your 2mm stuff to show up. I hope to have some progress to show for my 2 and 3mm Napoleonic collections and this gives me inspiration. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific work, Mark! Really lovely looking farm... hopefully it'll stay intact when the revolting slaves drop by !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI: Because of the bespoke nature, I'm scoring these at 10 per base.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking villa and great looking revolting slaves!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. The villa looks quite tranquil and relaxing, until you notice the pitched battle just outside the grounds. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely looking building, top tiny marks 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your project Mark and this entry is no different. Quite keen on giving 2mm a try myself as your pictures really give an impression of a big battle rather than a scuffle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, they look the part!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much for escaping to the country then. This latifundium will be no holiday resort! It looks smashing though, as do your troop bases. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete