Sunday 3 January 2021

From ByronM - Return of the Greenskin Packers - Ork Bloodbowl Team (40 points)

As mentioned in a few previous posts, part of what I want to accomplish is finishing up past projects that have been sitting around in various states of incompleteness.  This post returns to my Bloodbowl team that I started painting back in 2017, the Greenskin Packers!  I started them by posting a single test figure and then a few more to go along with the QB, but then as is usual I got sidetracked, but at least it was due to two very good reasons....

- No one was playing locally
- Yellow and White uniforms SUCK to paint

Anyway, the team is now complete!


While I wanted to include a team shot of them all done, this submission is only for 8 of them as shown below, the other 7 were already submitted 3 years ago in the challenge.


While I am really happy with how they came out, and am glad to finally have a complete Bloodbowl team, they were a pain in the ass!  Painting white to not look all white (armour and cloth is actually 2 separate shades of white, each with several different whites and off-whites to make them up) and then getting yellow to look nice against it, was a lot of trouble!!!  As I am sure anyone who has worked a lot with either colour is well aware of.  People like MikeF (who does amazing yellows) must be masochists to actually want to paint full armies in yellows!

Here is a close up of one of the normal linebackers to show the details close up.

Once the uniforms were painted, I then went around the model and added chips and scratches to make them look used and abused (as any Ork belonging would be).  I keep thinking about maybe muddying them up as well, but like the crisp colours and worry that it would darken then too much and I would loose the overall bright cartoon look that I love about them.
These 8 new Orks should net me a very time consuming and frustration inducing 40 points!



13 comments:

  1. Haha, yes, I can see where yellow and white would completely suck to paint. Not a very inspiring combination, but you've done an excellent job with these strapping lads. Great work Byron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they look lovely! I tend to run scared of yellow to be honest!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! and yes so do I normally.... but my favourite team is Greenbay, and this is a pretty close copy to their uniforms, so I kinda had to...

      Delete
  3. Yes, no doubt bonus points for tackling challenging colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look amazing in the white/yellow combo. And now that you have a full team, you need never paint that colour scheme again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good way to look at it, I never have to do anymore, and that makes me happy :-)

      Delete
  5. Well done on these Greenskins Byron!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great Byron! Too bad the Green Bay Packers will lose again this year, and then wonder why it is they need a defence, but this is still cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. You are likely right, but they are still my favourite team, so I had to do them up for bloodbowl, I have loved them ever since I was a teenager and then when they got Brett Favre it was pure magic. Then they got Rodgers! The fact that they have had 2 of the best QB's of all time for the last 30 years is amazing. I know hard times have to be coming though....

      Delete
  7. As a Dallas fan this is what Green Bay look like to me in real life 😁 great work
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking fantasy football team. Leaving the colours bright really works, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Army Painter Light Tone wash is my magic for yellow. I really like the weathered armour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great team! I can imagine your suffering as you were painting them, but the end result looks splendid. The colour scheme also does wonders for their complexion ;-)

    ReplyDelete