Sunday 3 January 2021

From ByronM - Necron Reanimator for the Golem's Haunt

As I venture deeper into the chamber of challenge, I came across the Golem's Haunt.  This location requires something that is re-animated, stitched-together, bolted-together, re-created from steel, clay, earth, etc. 

Hmm, what to do.... Dig's through pile-o-shame looking for something.... Ah! How about painting something that is both a golem itself and a reanimator as well!

May I present to you the Necron Canoptek Reanimator.

This model is a relatively new one to the Necrons.  It is a huge model based on a 65mm base and standing over 125mm tall.  Being a Necron it is animated metal so fits the requirement of the room, but is also used by the Necrons to reanimate other models that die, keeping the endless tide of Necrons flowing over their enemies.

Shown with a normal Marine for scale
Shown with a normal Marine for scale

I once had a Necron army years ago when they first came out.  However it was all the old metal models and were painted back when I didn't even know that you NEVER EVER use paint straight out of the bottle.  So as I got to be a better painter I sold off the old army thinking that I would paint up a new one at some point...  

Fast forward probably 10-12 years and I am finally getting back to that project, with this first model for my replacement Necron force.  There will be more to come throughout the challenge.

I did not want the standard all silver and black for my force, nor did I want the standard green glows on the models, so I started looking for something else, something I liked painting and would look good.  I glanced over, saw my Spartans in their glorious bronze and crimson and a colour scheme was born.

I am going to keep all the under armour and mechanical parts the simple metal and black that necrons are known for, and to keep painting fast and simple.  However, I am going to paint all of the upper layers of armour in bronze and all the glows in crimson red and yellow highlights. 

The painting method is to get all the metal work done (both bronze and gunmetal) then wash it all with Agrax Earthshade (I put that shit on everything!) to tone down the shine of the metal and give it a worn / dirty look.  After that I start off at a deep crimson on all the gem type areas and then shade them up through 4 different reds and 3 different yellows, adding glow effects around them to bring some warmth to the otherwise cold pallet. I then added a few alien coloured plants to the base, to both add some colour and to allow me to distinguish units later on (one unit can have purple flowers, another blue, etc).

Overall, I am really happy with how the model came out and can not wait to paint up some more Necrons to go with it.  The effort vs reward on this scheme is very high (at least in my mind) as it is both quick and attractive looking.  Many more Necron's to come over the course of the challenge!

14 comments:

  1. I really like the orange/red glow vs the standard green. It makes it look more dangerous and malevolent somehow. Great work and hope to see more Necrons like this in the future. I think it will be a really cool army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A return to the Grim Dark Future. An what a return. Love that colour scheme. Different to the usual Silver and glowy green. Excellent! Love it. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Necron. The scheme you're using looks quite similar to the one used in the (now out of date) Imperial Armour Book 12: The Fall of Orpheus. It's well worth a read if you can pick up a copy cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. I will have to take a look for it, sorry, I didn't realize it had been done before... I still like it though, so sticking with it, even if it isn't original.

      Delete
  4. Great nasty necron egg-whisk thing! I really like the bronze and crimson scheme. You gotta run with that Byron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will! I have a couple more done already! Waiting to post a bunch all together though.

      Delete
  5. Amazing work Byron, loving the bronze and red combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super looking metal golem! It might be a fast finish but it looks ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I missed this earlier Byron - this looks great. It will inspire me to paint up a few of the Necrons I have from my 40k box set...well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you do with them Greg. They are really nice models (FINALLY, as Necrons have had more than their fair share of bad models over the years) and have a lot more character than before. Not sure on a lot of them for actual game play, but they certainly look cool.

      Delete
  8. This looks pretty damn scary 😳
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really nice model! Is it metal or plastic? I can image that it may be a little top-heavy. But it is looking absolutely gorgeous and your colour scheme is a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is all plastic so it balances pretty well. The colours were super easy and fun to paint.

      Delete