Tuesday 16 February 2021

From PeteF: Undead Army Descends Upon Graveyard Beach (160 points)

One of the best things about wargaming conventions is the bring and buy. It's a sort of shame shuffle where you can try and offload one lot of unpainted minis in exchange for the option to paint a different group. Depending on where the new shiny urge is taking me and what is being sold at a bargain I can really end up with anything.

These old school plastic skellies (from the Evil Empire) caught my fancy when I was thinking about building an undead army for SAGA Age of Magic. I've since landed on a different faction - but you never know. Right? Plus - can you really have too many fightin' skeletons? No. No you can't.


At least the skellies have given me something to paint for Graveyard Beach. It felt a bit cheaty using Skeleton Horde (Does exactly what it says on the tin) contrast paint on the main bodies with a little dry brushing, so I went to town on the rust for the weapons. 

Five mounted skellies and 18 foot plus a room bonus for a total of 160 points. This is my fourth room on the third level so it must be time to approach the Snowlord's Altar (dramatic drum roll and sinister base music playing in my head).

Classic GW Bones ahoy! Lovely job on these and while no Cap'n likes to see rust on his ship, youve done a grand job of it.

Cap'n Wednesday

9 comments:

  1. Nicely done! That rust is impressive - how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @NoelRW - The rust recipe needs a stippling brush - I just cut the top off a worn out brush. Base can be black - I started with the black contrast paint over the wraithbone primer. Then a thinnish coat of charred brown. Then a heavy splotching with mournfang brown (air but thinned would work too). Then a stipple with amaranth red. Then a stipple with orange fire. Then a stipple with zandri dust. Then Agrax Earthshade wash. Then a drybrush with gunmetal (any shiny steel will work) - concentrating on the cutting edges. I think the original recipe I based this on had a final dry brush of Ryza Rust - but I don't have any of that so I did a little orange fire drybrush on just one or two of them.

      Delete
  2. Awesome undead horde,does exactly what it says on the box!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. 29 Skullz? These are really lovely skellies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work of this pile of bones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on these skellies, I particularly like the risk of tetanus from the rusty weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great skellies Pete. Love that GW 'Skeleton Horde'. Tip: It's great for painting horses too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these classics Pete and you really did a good job with the rust-effects!

    ReplyDelete