Friday 19 February 2021

From PhilH: Zeitgeist Curtgeld, Din Djarin (30 Points)

Afternoon folks, Soooo, my challenge has gone a little awry, largely because 1). I was waiting a few weeks for a key component of my Pit of the Pendulum entry, and 2). I was loath to skip the room, as I have a great vignette for it, and the things I have been studiously painting while waiting have taken quite a lot of time. Thus, Every Point Counts for me to reach my target. Sooo, I've a few hundred points of stuff waiting in the wings, but haven't eeeeven started my Pit entry. I'll get there over the last few weeks, but whoops. In the margins I've painted up my Curtgeld offering, which is channeling the current hotness TV Show The Mandalorian. I hope it will fit pleasingly in some Challenger's SciFi collection.
Yep, i's Din Djarin, our dour but sensitive bounty hunter protagonist from the latest Star Wars hotness TV show. Unlike most Mandos you see, this isn't a 3D print, rather a traditional metal sculpt by Tim Prow of Diehard Miniatures, from a Kickstarter 18 months or so back. He's nicely scaled for 35mm Legion, so has a pleasing heft.
One of the things I've been trying to do recently, is try new painting methods by trying to add more texture, particularly here to the boots and cloak, rather than defaulting to my usual entirely smooth layered style. Part inspired by recent work on vehicles, Twitter inspiration and also by watching YouTube channel 'Not Just Mecha', by Marco Frisoni while working. Marco does wonderful work, usually on GW models, that's both inspirational and depressingly done in just a handful of hours. He draws a lot on the old masters and colour theory, so a good opportunity to learn along the way.
I have spotted a couple of bits in the photos that need tidying up, and of course he'll a few layers of varnish for transit to his eventual owner.

22 comments:

  1. That's some mighty fine work there Phil! The cloak looks suitably ragged and the boots well worn. While I quite like the black and red colour combination of his armour what really blows my mind is that subtle energy glow of his weapon. Glorious! I'll throw in a few extra points just for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, very kind. Purple wash is the answer on the weapon, used sparingly. With a larger area there’s some great energy burn effects one can achieve.

      Delete
  2. Great work Phil. The depth and richness to the coat is excellent as is the sheen on the metalwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon, he came out alright didn’t he

      Delete
  3. Fantastic painting on your bounty hunter, excellent work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Phil. A METAL mando?! Wow. That's hotness in of itself! This will make a wonderful cCrtgeld for someone to be sure. Now, enough excuses and get cracking mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes novelty among the endless 3D prints. And yes I’m slaving away on more Iroquois already...

      Delete
  5. Nice work Phil. Cool to see a metal Mando as opposed to the ubiquitous 3D prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see more Mando's getting painted up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tim, thanks for the sculpt! I thoroughly enjoyed painting him

      Delete
  7. great rendition of this figure Phil!

    ReplyDelete