Friday 19 February 2021

From SimonG: Circe Transports us to The Snowlord's Treasury (32 points)

 Having finished up in the Hall of Heroes I now need to be in the Snowlord's Treasury so it's time to call on Circe the sorceress for the necessary ethereal transportation.




Circe was of course renowned for turning men into pigs -- so perhaps she is behind the PigMen I previously posted 🐷🐷! Once again this is a LMS Black Rose Wars 30mm PVC figure and perhaps my favourite of all I have worked on so far. The elevating pose and robe work is top rate and the snakes making their way up her leg really set off the piece. The piece was rather beset by tricky mould lines at least one of which is far more visible in macro photography then in the "real world" (at least that's my excuse!).





Clearly there were some judgement calls in how to paint a piece like this and how to not get an NSFW rating -- I elected to follow the Ruskin policy when it came to certain areas (probably quite appropriate for a classical greek figure in any case!)




For the detail on the dress I used a mix of classic patterns (albeit simplified) for the upper part and a detail inspired by Waterhouse's first iteration of Circe for the lower. The choice of colour for the dress was driven by a colour that would allow me to get that partly transparent effect without too much trouble -- something I think worked out pretty well on the décolletage (probably not a word that gets brought up too often on this blog!)




Once again much time was spent on the face, the green eyes just seemed to work, and if you look closely you may see some red eyes on the green snake!





I guess pieces like this help you work up techniques that can be employed in more normal wargame situations, but they're also fun in and of themselves plus I look forward to deploying her as my character in Black Rose Wars. For today however she should be worth 32 points (7 for a 40mm figure, 20 for the ride and an extra 5 as a sorceress I believe)

21 comments:

  1. Very nice work! I like that one streek of grey in her hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam -- I was worried it might come off as too Bride of Frankenstein but after I toned it down by adding back some black it worked out well

      Delete
  2. Utterly splendid looking sorceress! Magic!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain -- I guess this is my first foray into "cheesecake" modelling which I understand is quite a thing!

      Delete
  3. I was under the impression men were pigs by default... or at least that's what the girls in school kept telling. Anyway, wonderful looking circe! The dress came out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As is often the case the Greek myths get to the essence of our humanity 🤔

      Thanks for the comments on the dress, luckily I discovered that if I messed up the highlights I could go back over it with a light wash (Reikland Fleshshade in this case) and it would tone things back again

      Delete
  4. Great work on a lovely mini and one of my favourite characters from Greek Mythology. I recommend Madeleine Miller’s novel Circe for her side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, Miller’s Circe is definitely on my reading list!

      Delete
    2. I also highly recommend Circe by Madeline Miller .... adventure, bloodshed, magick & monsters ... all excellent things to read about! ❤️🧞‍♀️

      Delete
  5. What alovely painting work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito. I really enjoyed this one and it photographed very well

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I guess maybe a bit two dimensional but within the constraints of a single piece cast that’s pretty unavoidable and with their multi parts you get gapping that needs filling

      Delete
  7. Nice job. Our host Mr Curt has a great story about “cheesecake models” entered into a public hobby show :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas, I can imagine how awkward that could be 😨

      Delete
  8. The robe is great, and the extra arms are really creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, the extra arms and snakes call to mind Kali I think

      Delete
  9. an inspiring paintjob Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, really appreciate all the kind feedback, it helps so much to keep pushing you forward and try new things

      Delete
  10. What a great model, and the painting/colour choices are tasteful, yet evocative of Circe’s power .... just superb.
    💜🧞‍♀️💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, and for the second recommendation on the book as well!

      Delete