Friday 7 January 2022

From DougM: 12 HJ Panzer Division [Death Star] (325 points)

 Finally got off the mark, with a Platoon for Chain of Command. The bulk of the figures are from Offensive Miniatures, which are very nice figures, nicely proportioned, and the best compliment I can pay them is that they remind me of upscaled AB figures. I had to mix in some Warlord for the artillery pieces, but it isn’t too obvious (I hope).

 


This is the shot with them all in – a full platoon (Zug), plus supports, and with additional light machine guns to allow 2 LMG per Squad (Gruppe) 64 figures in 28mm including 12 prone and 2 crew served weapons. Three of the crew were done before the challenge – so won’t count I’m afraid.

Obviously, these would be ‘Of Questionable Design’ as constructing an entire Panzer Division around a transferred cadre with youths aged 18 (all recruits were supposed to be born in 1926), would seem to be a strange way to do things.

As for selecting such a 'questionable' force, I have resisted till now, but if I do want to play battles in Normandy, or Arnhem, then I pretty much have to have some of the bad guys in the dotty suits. And those suits nearly drove me dotty. I looked up every painting guide online, and then mixed and matched till I found a mechanism I liked, and that didn’t involve shading and highlighting every dot.

So here are the ‘glamour’ shots. 


 Gruppe 1. Supported by a tripod mounted MG42 with 5 crew.


 Gruppe 2 supported by a Pak 40 Anti-Tank Gun with 5 crew and a Leader

Gruppe 3 supported by a Le IG 18 75mm with 5 crew and a leader.


 Additional Support options such as an observer, Panzerschreck teams, a flamethrower team and spare leaders

A single close up of the MG42 team. The camouflage isn't strictly accurate, but it fools the eye in this scale.



So a first entry for this, my first year in the challenge. Without any special pleading for the spots on the figures and in front of my eyes..  I score this as:

 49 x 28 mm figs at 5 = 245

12 x prone 28mm figs at 2.5 = 30

2 Crew served weapons at 10 = 20

Outer Ring Planet bonus  = 20

A Total of 315 I believe, and I am on my way… I probably should have been more aggressive with my target. Now where to next?

 From DaveD

Kaboom! the first points bombe of the day - and its enough to drive you dotty . Cracking job on these and I feel I need to acknowledge the madness that it will induce - so lets call it 325. 


21 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's a lot of points (and dots)! Welcome to the Challenge! As you have noticed, it really inspires you to paint and you suddenly paint much more than you image. Very motivating. But those dots on the camouflage, are you still sane? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nicely pinted! The cammo scheme is outstanding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent paint bomb. I really admire the work on the camo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dots dots dots. Magnificent camouflage. Well done. I’m the same have to paint a number of baddies to take on my Red Devils.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap, that is well done. And "upscaled AB" is high praise indeed...what an excellent points bomb to kick things off. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice points-bomb, Doug! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That camo pattern turned out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking HJ, I hope my Offensive Miniatures platoon in winter gear turns out as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking HJ! I did a squad in 28mm and that was quite enough, you're a better man than me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous job on these uber-fascists. That camo turned out very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So.many.dots. Kudos to you for persevering through the dirty madness to drop an incredible points bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb looking force - how are your eyes after all that peadot? :-)

    Well placed in Death Star too, as 12 HJ was also renowned for its Hubris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks all. And I have just realised my intended next lot were the Empress Late War British, complete with camouflaged Denison shocks. I might have to take a break from the camo for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to the Challenge Doug and what a stonking first entry, lovely work on the figures and a points bomb 💣 to boost 😀

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  15. That’s quite some nice work on all that camo

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, they are fabulous

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete