Friday 7 January 2022

From ForestP: 70 20mm (1/72) Early Imperial (1st - 2nd Century BC) Roman Infantry [Istvaan V] (308 points)

Hello, all! My name is Forest, and well, this is my first foray into the Analogue Painting Challenge. It's honestly been quite some time since I've done any painting, so I figured this would be a great way into getting me back into the more creative side of the hobby.

I suppose a little introductions are in order before getting to the niceties of the photos and so on, since I'm an unknown here. I've been wargaming since the late 90's, early 2000's when I first discovered the hobby at a gaming convention while going to college. I initially just painted the odd fantasy figure to go with playing role-playing games, but got bit hard by the historical bug after meeting Doug Kline (of Battlefield Terrain Concepts) while I was in graduate school in Virginia in 2004. I've been gaming horse and musket ever since.

Fast forward to today, and I'm an Army psychologist in the Kansas City area that rarely gets a moment to take a breath between work and home responsibilities. Realizing that self-care is something that I teach my patients, but rarely engage in myself, I decided the hypocrisy needed to end. So, long story short, this challenge has given me an excuse to take care of myself... and paint some miniatures from my pile of lead and plastic. My goals are modest this year, with an intent to finish 500 points worth of figures and terrain/scenics. 

Today, I bring you my first painted miniatures in a few years. Daunted by the thought of diving headfirst into my pile of unpainted 15mm Napoleonics I decided to polish off some 1/72 Italeri Early Imperial Roman Infantry that I've had laying around in boxes for about a decade.

One of two boxes that I've had languishing on a shelf for a decade.

I started off mounting them on craft sticks and priming the lot in black before working on a simple paint job that won't win me any contests, but I figure they'll look just fine on the table.

Simple blocking of colors because I intend to use a wash.

I forgot how meditative this whole process can be.

I actually primed the lot on New Year's Eve, and started painting around 0900 on New Year's Day as part of my resolution to do more wargaming this year. I had intended to just do a little each day until finishing the lot next weekend, but next thing I knew it was early evening and I was nearly done with the blocked colors, with some smaller details picked out.




After dinner, I decided to push on and complete all the painting minus the wash I would put on the following morning. Below are the miniatures with the wash on. I finished around 2300. Now that's a good day of painting.



I had no intention of finishing painting in a day and a half, but here we are.

After simple basing (for Warhammer Ancients Battles), flocking, and sealing with a matte sealer I present to you my 70 Early Imperial Roman Infantry.

Two sets of command elements (8 foot, 2 mounted).

Half of the infantry (30 figures) ready to advance with pila at the ready.

The other half (30 figures) holding shields aloft in a testudo formation.

Close up of my two mounted officers (please provide suggestions for names)

Close up of one of the command elements

A better view of the individual infantrymen

So, there it is. My first entry to the challenge is done, and it was far easier than expected to get back into that meditative painting state. I chose to start at Istvaan V because I associate 1st to 2nd Century BC with the assassination of Julius Caesar (a betrayal if there ever was one). In summation, my points are calculated as follows:

68 x 1/72 (20mm) foot @ 4 = 272 points
2 x 1/72 (20mm) mounted @ 8 = 16 points
Istvaan V (Outer Ring) bonus = 20 points
Total = 308 points

Well, now that I've gotten over my initial trepidations of returning to painting, it's time to dive headlong into this challenge. I think I'll work on a regiment of 15mm Grand Duchy of Warsaw infantry next, and may if I decide to go hog wild work on my 15mm Alamo (it's huge). I may have underestimated what I will paint with the 500 points... Of well, but to underpromise and overdeliver, right? Oh yeah, Happy New Year!

Forest

From Millsy

Welcome to the Challenge Forest! It's great to have another debutant with us this year, and what a debut both in terms of quality and quantity!

These are just awesome mate. You can't argue about the value of 1/72 miniatures but I often forget how good they can look when painted well, especially something like a Roman whose uniform and equipment looks so good en mass. Nice choice of theme for Istvaan V too, very appropriate.

Bring on 15mm Napoleonics please. I have a soft spot for the French and especially their allies so really keen to see what you bring to those chaps.







36 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Challenge, Forest! Nice work on those Romans! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally getting around to replies! Thanks, Tamsin! Glad to be here.

      Delete
  2. Great rookie entry Forest! Not too often we see 1/72 plastics here. I look forward to seeing your Alamo; I am adding some touches to friend's home made version myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy how my Alamo turned out.

      Delete
  3. Welcome aboard, Forest! Nice first post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was nice to get my brushes going again.

      Delete
  4. An awesome first post, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope to keep up the quality, if not exactly the same quantity.

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the Challenge Forest, what a bomb to enter! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teemu! I'm trying to keep going on regular posts. It's certainly a lot. I'm not sure how some of you do it!

      Delete
  6. Welcome aboard, some very nice looking romans there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie! I have some more prepped for painted. May do more before the end of this.

      Delete
  7. Great looking Roman points bomb!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! They were certainly a nice way to get back into painting.

      Delete
  8. Welcome Forest from another first timer, your Romans look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! Hope your challenge is going well too!

      Delete
  9. Welcome to the AHPC Forest and your Imperial Romans look great -- can't wait to get some of mine up and painted too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon! Always good to have more EIR on the tables!

      Delete
  10. Nice mass of Romans - interesting scale choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! I've had the figures forever. I think I picked them up at Bonnie Brae Hobbies in Denver over a decade ago, and they have just been sitting on my shelf. I have more Romans in 1/72 that are awaiting painting. I think I'm going to stick with this scale just for the heck of it.

      Delete
  11. Welcome to the Challenge Forest. I think its absolutely terrific that you're using our little corner of the internet to partake in some self care. That makes me very happy.

    Great first post! It's funny actually, so many of us began our hobby 'lives' with Airfix/Italeri figures, but we rarely see them here. Excellent work and I particularly like the command elements.

    And with them breaking your duck, I very much look forward to your upcoming Napoleonics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt! It really has been helpful to me to paint things up over the past month. I appreciate you starting this whole shindig and encouraging people to take a moment to enjoy this aspect of the hobby.

      Delete
  12. Welcome Forest, Great first post in the Challenge, you've brought these 20mm plastics to life 😀

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ken! Oddly enough, I learned about this challenge from listening to your podcast! I really appreciate what you are doing for the hobby, and I see your podcast as the spiritual successor to Meeples and Miniatures.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! I've been needing to get these painted for a decade!

      Delete
  14. Hello Forest!
    Welcome to this crazy bunch and what a great calling card you’ve introduced yourself with! Your Romans look great en masse, well done.
    I’m a retired army chaplain and worked extensively with military mental health folks, so I appreciate what you do and applaud you for using the Challenge as self care.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Chaplains and BH work hand in hand. In fact our Chaplain is the one I go to to decompress because there are no other options for the actual BH providers. We can't do it without each other!

      Delete
  15. That is an impressive first post! Good on you for realizing how important self care is for yourself and not just your patients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! Sometimes as providers we become so patient-care focused that we lose sight of our own needs. It's doubly hard when everyone simply expects us to weather everything without any issues ourselves.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope to keep up the same quality as I go through the challenge.

      Delete
  17. Welcome to the challenge and great to see you‘re aiming for more self-care. Something I try to do myself.
    Very nice figures and an excellent choice of scale (says the recent convert)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad to see there are more gamers willing to give 1/72 a chance! I know 3D printing plastics and resin are becoming ubiquitous, but I feel there's still plenty of life in the 1/72 side of things.

      Delete