Tuesday 18 January 2022

From Guy B: In the nick of time... (Caprica) (185 points)

Crikey! Time flies... and we're almost at the cut-off point for entries... I'd best post something then!

Our local club has been painting up for a 1940s campaign and I am painting up the British Expeditionary Force. I painted two sections of 10 men prior to the challenge and have another few sections to go before I'm finished. So I had my BEF undercoated ready for the challenge and then...

... I became distracted. My fellow challenger Chris K has an idea to speed up the painting of his French and I thought it was such a clever idea that I had to try it too. His entry can be read about here. So I dug out some old Bolt Action French (pre Warlord!) I had sitting in a draw for over a decade. There were originally undercoated black. I added in some of the Atlantic plastics, which fit in pretty well. I gave them all a dry brushing of white and then tried a mix of standard paints and contrast. 


I took Chris K's formula for Khaki and added a little more Militarum Green. Mine was about an even mix of Militarum to Darkoath Flesh, or perhaps 5 to 3 in favour of the green, as I toyed with my batches.

The flesh is Speedpaint Crusader Flesh or Instantcolor Phoenix Feather. The leather is Speedpaint Hardened Leather (which comes out very red!). 

The backpack was German Camo Beige Brown (VMC 821) with a brown wash. The wood was English Uniform (VMC 921). Helmets were Olive Grey (VMC 888) with a careful green ink wash and a slight highlight.

So I got carried away in batch painting and we have 33 French which I make as 165 points and it has to be Caprica... a noble but doomed effort against the Cylon err.... German invasion. 

Hmm, I think I really need to paint some Brits now!!!!


Edit: 

Hmmm, it looks as though my closing comments disappeared. I'll have a go at remembering what I wrote - it's quite possible that Guy decided to edit the post at the same time I was "minioning" it and finished after me, so his version is the one which got posted!

In the nick of time indeed! I think we all understand how easy it is to get distracted by, errrm, distractions to the detriment of our intended projects.

These Frenchies look great for speed-painting.

Now that you've made it onto the roster, perhaps you could have a word with your boss...

Tamsin


20 comments:

  1. Distraction has to be at least 15% of the enjoyment of the hobby, right? Love EW French, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking French, hopefully the BEF won't be far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome, great to see you off the starting blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Guy, great looking Frenchmen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a small detour. Ha, well done. Get a mission and the paint flies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the look of that Speedpaint Hardened Leather. It may be too red for your liking but I quite like it. The khaki turned out very well too.
    You better tell your buddy JasperO to pull his finger out: as of 6:40 PM PST he is till sitting on 0 pts.😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. you always do this Guy: each year I fear you will not make it before the culling and then, just right in time you pull out this beautifully painted entry out of your hat... great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're not at least risking distraction you're doing it wrong! They look great Guy and the hardened leather looks spot on. It would be great for horse flesh too I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. “I became distracted..” yup I wonder how many challengers say that! Nice Frenchies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Were you distracted, or did you just reprioritize? 😉 Very nice figures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice Work lovely group of Frogs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid work these French, I really like the leather colour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work! I particularly like the Officer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, that’s almost a small points bomb Mr Oorthuys!
    Your speed painting looks rather impressive

    ReplyDelete
  15. That khaki blend has come out well! Are those the new Army Painter range? I'm keen to get my hands on them.

    ReplyDelete